Confused on how to layout bathroom in Basement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwarrior

Reaction score
So I am in finish line of framing up my basement and the one area I do not know about it bathroom layout. I know the spacing needed for the toilet and which drain pipe is for the toilet but the other 2 have me confused. Is one a sink or is one a vent pipe or is one a shower drain.

I have included the spacing in the photos. There is alot of room between where the door will be and the pipes so that is not an issue. Any insight would be appreciated so it can be laid out properly.

Basement Rough-In.jpg

Basement Rough-In2.jpg

I would guess the one next to the 3" pipe is the sink. The tub should have a p-trap. Take the cover off, run some water then shine a light down and see if you have standing water.

This a project you walked in on that someone else started and
You don't have a drawing of the bathroom layout?
Or the pipes were just installed willy-nelly without a plan and you hoped it would all work out after the concrete was poured?

That's typical of a lot of new builds here. They stub up the pipes in a basement for a later install. Most of the time if the home owner doesn't like the layout we just bust up some concrete and move a drain here and there. But when they lay them out they rough them in at the right spacing... typically.

This a project you walked in on that someone else started and
You don't have a drawing of the bathroom layout?
Or the pipes were just installed willy-nelly without a plan and you hoped it would all work out after the concrete was poured?

not at all.. This was the rough-in down by the builder 14 years ago. Basement was never touched.

Appreciate all the insight... I have come up with something that I think will work now that I have some clarity.

Basement Rough-In3.jpg

if roughed for a shower, even 14 yrs ago it should have been 2"

maybe some clarity on the existing room dimensions.
The tub, toilet and sink don't necessarily all have to be on the same wall.

if roughed for a shower, even 14 yrs ago it should have been 2"

maybe some clarity on the existing room dimensions.
The tub, toilet and sink don't necessarily all have to be on the same wall.

There is really no limit on the room dimensions.. it is right next to the an unused area AKA storage...

But here is what I have available.
Rough sketchup...

Bath4.png

Bath2.png

Okay. so you will be using a back outlet toilet.
Most toilets here are discharged into the floor.

Back