Sleeving 3" CI pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meplumbing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of repairing a leaking 3" cast iron drain stack, this is in a six story building, and the leak occurred above the basement, where the pipe transitions to horizontal. All appeared ok until I turned the water back on, and water started flowing back from an under-the-slab section of pipe, which runs for about 20 feet before it drops to the basement.

It appears that the rotted section is only several feet deep (to be verified by camera), however, excavation is not my first option in this case, b/c this runs under an apartment, and will involve tunneling, and building support...

So to my question, assuming I'm correct about the depth of the problem, is there an acceptable DIY approach to lining the rotted section with pex or some other flexible material, and sealing the opening with a gasket / sealant, then continuing upstream connection with Fernco's etc.

(Just to avoid unnecessary dialogue, please note:

1. I'm aware of commercial under-the-slab lining solutions/companies, but I'm looking for a solution that I can do myself.

2. I'm also aware that pex is not used for dwv applications, but perhaps there is some sort of pex or other flexible material which is rated for dwv applications).

Thank you,

Isaac

Last edited:
you answered your own post.

the job would have to have a permit pulled and an inspection done.

if you have a master's you are good to go.

if not, you will need to hire it out

I'm not asking about permits or inspections. I'm a master plumber.

This was a technical question...

There is no DIY linings that can repair cracked drain lines that I am aware of
You're gonna have to bite the bullet and dig it up.

Not really sure what you are trying to describe here,
"water started flowing out from a section of pipe unslab that runs under the slab for about 20 feet before it drops to the basement "

There is no DIY linings that can repair cracked drain lines that I am aware of
You're gonna have to bite the bullet and dig it up.

Thanks.

Not really sure what you are trying to describe here,
"water started flowing out from a section of pipe unslab that runs under the slab for about 20 feet before it drops to the basement "

My bad, typo. Corrected and reworded.

flex-seal-liquid-rubber.jpg

Rat-on-Leash-300x218.jpg

get you a trained rat and a can of flex seal

sorry man, i cant resist, :D

So your a master plumber and getting advice about a sewer line isn't sewer plumbing 101 I call bull****

So your a master plumber and getting advice about a sewer line isn't sewer plumbing 101 I call bull****

Listen *****.. Looking for new approaches to old problems does not invalidate credentials....

Have a nice life!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the problem is your credentials in all my years on this site never had a master plumber how to replace a sewer. Thought master meant you mastered the art. Don't be butt hurt because I called you on your **** accept it and own it

Back