build up on heater supply valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunliner

Reaction score
I have a water heater that was installed about 8 years ago. In December 2014, the inlet and outlet pipes were both replaced due to small leaks in both. No problems until last week when I noticed the supply pipe leaking at the point where the pipe meets the shut off valve. Plumber came out, tightened the connection up and left. I noticed later the same night that it was dripping again.
He came back and decided to replace both pipes as well as the valve on the cold water side.
He told me that the valve (just put in less than two years ago) was "shocked"..I asked him what that meant and he showed me the valve...what we could see of the interior of it was covered in a white powdery substance (calcium I suppose?). I didn't think to ask while he was here, but what might cause that? I know that scaling happens sometimes but I've not had any problems anywhere else in the house, and this seems like a fairly short time for a valve to crud up like that.

Pictures help. could be from lack of dielectric fittings or junk products.

good point..forgot to get pics and he took the part with him. thanks for trying

Back