Need Help: 2 seperate drain outlets under the kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardcurryt

Reaction score
I've plumbed in sinks before many times in homes we've purchased and renovated but I've never seen two separate drain outlets under a kitchen sink before.

There's a metal one down low (see pic attached) and a pvc one up higher. I'm not sure if the previous setup had the garbage disposal draining into it's own pipe? (House was built in 1956)

The lower one appears clogged with debris, while the pvc one is clear but was broken when the kitchen was torn out.

Should I cap one and drain the new sink/disposal into one? If so, should I use the PVC one or the metal one, or does it matter?

I haven't been able to loosen the PVC connection.

Thanks for any help.

IMG_3009.jpg

drain test them. put a 90 on both pipesand a 2' section of pipe

stick a hose in the pipe ....

if they both drain fine, you have your choice

hook up the sink on one/disposal on the other.

or together, take your pick i would use them both,

back in the day, even before my time they often stacked 2 santees and trapped each sink of a 2 compartment kitchen sink.
if that is plastic fitting on top unscrew it from the wall fitting but it maybe to high for a disposal and the other sink to connect them properly.

Unfortunately galv steel nipples do not unscrew with much success from cast iron tapped santees.

I have a couple threads that show how to remove a DWV copper trap arm. you might get lucky on the lower tee but you will need a 1-1/2" pipe tape to clean the threads if thare are anytrace of them whenyou get the steel nipple out. or you can cut the nipple off and leave about 4" and use a banded mission coupling to attach a new drain.

How to remove a DWV trap arm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back