Alpine condensing boiler, does it matter which way to mount exterior thermostat?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnDS

Reaction score
I have an Alpine condensing boiler. I had the thermostat installed under the deck outside, in between the joists. I figured this would be the best spot out of the weather and wind as per manufacturer's suggestion. As of now i had a new deck installed and it needed to be unscrewed and is now just hanging. I cannot get under the deck to remount it so I was wondering if it would be ok to just pull the slack back into my basement to pull it back up into the deck joists and flat against the ledger board? The reason Im asking is because I dont know if there is mercury in it that would cause it to malfunction if it happens to be upside down after being pulled. Does anyone know?

They don't even manufacture Mercury thermostats anymore and I can't see them using one for a high efficiency boiler I think you're fine on that part. I do not recommend though pulling on the slack would be a shame if you pulled a wire loose.

They don't even manufacture Mercury thermostats anymore and I can't see them using one for a high efficiency boiler I think you're fine on that part. I do not recommend though pulling on the slack would be a shame if you pulled a wire loose.

Thank you for the response. Well that's good news that it doesn't matter which way it can be mounted. Thanks for your concern. The wire is very loose going through the ledger board and the t-stat is very light so I just want to pick it up a little to get out of the wind.

Just out of curiosity, what is in the t-stat that reads the temperature And why would it not effect the reading no matter what position its in?

Digital thermostat which most likely is the one that you have use a thermistor to measure the temperature. All it is is a resistor you can mount it upside down Anyway You Want It really won't affect it

Back