Bathroom sink check valve / backwater valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacrawfo

Reaction score
[/ATTACH]Hi,

I've attached a photo of under the bathroom sink in my condo, 1st floor unit in a 3-storey building.

Firstly... I think that's a 1-1/2" Back Water Valve, part number IPEX 017491. Is this common to see? There isn't one under my kitchen sink. I guess there must have been some reason for it to be there, so if I replace this assembly, I should put one back in.

Note IPEX lists it as a BWV, but an online retailer lists it as a check valve - not really sure the difference in these terms but it appears they're being used interchangeably.

I started investigating because first, water was draining slowly out the sink. I used a plastic barbed wire and got a hunk of gross hair out of it, and put some baking soda and vinegar through, but it still drained slowly. So I used a plunger. Now, it barely drains at all!

Do you think the plunger could have done damage to the backflow valve? (just my imagination but maybe the suck could cause a flapper to jam closed?)

Will the presence of that valve prevent me from trying a manual snake?

Any other thoughts/comments on this situation? Thanks,

Attachments

• UnderSink.jpg
    UnderSink.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Back