Should I replace my 30 year old sump pump if it still works? Help IDing type?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amateurplumber

Reaction score
Here's my sump pump. It still works fine but it is very old. Should I replace it? How can I tell home much HP it is? What kind of switch is it using (there's a plug going to the switch which I've not seen on the new ones)? Thanks

The pumps are sized by several factors.
How high and how far it has to pump it.
The size of the discharge on the pump.

Looks like you a pressure switch.

I is on a piggyback plug.
The advantage of the piggyback plug is that you can remove the pump plug from the piggyback plug and plug the pump directly into an outlet to see if the pump works.

We like to use ZoellerPumps with an attached float that actuates the pump. No piggyback plug.

pumpsizing

Switch buyers guide

The pumps are sized by several factors.
How high and how far it has to pump it.
The size of the discharge on the pump.

Looks like you a pressure switch.

I is on a piggyback plug.
The advantage of the piggyback plug is that you can remove the pump plug from the piggyback plug and plug the pump directly into an outlet to see if the pump works.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Are these pressure switches very reliable or something? I ask because this unit has been working for 30 or so years without much problem at all. :eek:

I do want to buy a Zoeller, but I am seeing lots of reviews about the switches failing on them. Is that a vocal minority complaining or an actual problem? I think I'll get a 1/2 HP since it goes up 7 feet, horizontally 15-17 feet, then up 3-4 feet and then horizontally into the yard for another 15 feet.

Last edited:
Things are not made like they used to be nothing ever last that long anymore. Zoeller is a good pump as well as liberties. I always tell people to change them out every six years, but that's just me.

Back