basement floor drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck172

Reaction score
I have a genova PVC-DWV Pop Top Closet Flange mounted in my basement slab. When I built the house 25 years ago, I roughed in for a basement toilet. I have a septic system. Since I'm not using it, I'm wondering if there is a way to use this as an emergency floor drain in case my basement were to flood.

The reason for the p-trap is to prevent sewer gases from filling you basement.

You could keep a large sharp spike handy.
If you do get flooded, just jam the spike into the knock out plug in the flange and you will have a drain

Seems like it will do what you want it to, but it's not proper and doesn't meet any code I'm aware of. Therefore, I'm not gonna endorse it.

Still need a Ptrap. That gadget that you posted a link to is meant to replace the need for a trap primer, but I don't recommend using that in place of a proper trap primer

The little bit that I read says that is indeed a ptrap alternative

Where did you read that? I can't find it... :confused:

41oHj48AEeL.jpg

Where did you read that? I can't find it... :confused:

41oHj48AEeL.jpg

It's designed to keep sewer gasses out, while letting water flow....basically eliminating the need for a p-trap.

I don't like it, I would much rather see the job done right. Methane gasses are not something anyone should take lightly, but to answer the question...yes it will probly work. But no, it's not proper.

The little bit that I read says that is indeed a ptrap alternative

No it's not. I sell these everyday. Not in place of a trap. It's in case the trap dries up it keeps odor from coming back up. No self respecting plumber would use this in place of a trap primer I a commercial setting. Residential...eeh

like i have said before. all this new **** on the market is just that ****

people have been pooping in a pipe for over a thousand years, the old school is the correct way to install plumbing because it is TIME TESTED

you have been told, the correct way is a GD ptrap.

any new **** is just that..****..install a ptrap

people have been pooping in a pipe for over a thousand years, the old school is the correct way to install plumbing because it is TIME TESTED

Again, ask questions, but already know everything. :mad:

No it's not. I sell these everyday. Not in place of a trap. It's in case the trap dries up it keeps odor from coming back up. No self respecting plumber would use this in place of a trap primer I a commercial setting. Residential...eeh

frodo...

She is correct. It should be a P-TRAP but without a primer, the water may evaporate allowing methane to enter the building. This is just a quick fix only.

Now take off your pack, stand easy and smoke 'em if you got them... :cool:

Back