How to Plumb Condensate Drain for Hybrid Water Heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVUpat

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have searched but not really found any info I am comfortable using without an opinion first. My girlfriend and I just purchased our first home so we're newbies on a lot of issues. The old water heater in our house was discovered to be toast during the inspection and a brand new GE Geospring Hybrid was installed. Somehow I did not catch that the contractor who installed it did not plumb the condensate drain into anything and it is currently just leaking a few ounces onto the floor per day. There is no floor drain in the basement and there is no sump. I have attached two photos showing the plumbing situation in the area. The washer standpipe is plumbed into to the kitchen sink drain from upstairs. What is my best course of action here? Can I plumb in another standpipe on the opposite side of the drain pipe and above the washer sanitary tee? I'm assuming I'll need some kind of trap to keep sewer gases out of my basement. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

20160531_235529.jpg

20160531_235450.jpg

EDIT: Attached photo

Thank you for your reply! Apparently I should've used a better inspector... So from your drawing I assume it is OK to put the washer drain line, condensate line from water softener and condensate line from the water heater into the same standpipe? I have a attached another photo which shows the rest of the plumbing run to the right side of the room from the first photos. What should i do with that AAV valve? Leave it or block it off? There is a basement bathroom past that AAV valve that was probably not done to code either. Would you need to see photos of it?

20160601_103128.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT: Attached photo

Thank you for your reply! Apparently I should've used a better inspector... So from your drawing I assume it is OK to put the washer drain line, condensate line from water softener and condensate line from the water heater into the same standpipe? I have a attached another photo which shows the rest of the plumbing run to the right side of the room from the first photos. What should i do with that AAV valve? Leave it or block it off? There is a basement bathroom past that AAV valve that was probably not done to code either. Would you need to see photos of it?

is that piping 2'' or 1 1/2'' ?

replace that 1 1/2 pipe needs a strap every 4' or it will sag

Last edited:
Back