Best practices vs code on 2 inch waste

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spud73

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Hope you are enjoying AND reflecting this memorial day.

I have a question concerning an install I am doing for a friend. I am not a plumber, but strive to have my work reflect a professional's touch.

Anyhoo, my question pertains to a horizontal 2 inch waste line, in a residential home.
I will try and describe the scenario as best I can, I can add pics later if warranted, or requested.

I am dealing with a 2 inch waste line that runs horizontal about 11 ft in a relatively shallow and tight bulkhead. It drains into a 3 inch stack via a wye.
Feeding into this 2 inch waste is a 2 inch shower drain(not vented)6 ft from stack, and a washer drain end of line 11 ft from stack(vented with AAV).

After doing some research, it looks as though this may not meet code, and probably not best practice, as I consider most codes to be the minimum required.

My thinking was the lack of venting from shower drain and the AAV as a washer vent would effectively reduce the fixture capacity of the 2 inch horizontal line. I was under the impression that the fixture load was assuming all fixtures had atmospheric vent.
I am of the mind set that the horizontal drain line, where the shower drain inlet feeds should be upsized, but the space is very limited.
Nor do I see a practical way to vent the shower.

Is that two inch horizontal drain line adequate? Should I vent it separately through the roof?

Any and all insight, and advice is greatly appreciated.
I hope I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill, I just like things to be done in a thoughtful manner.

Much obliged

My thoughts exactly
I will try and see if i can squeeze a 3 inch branch to the stack, following the the shower trap. I am working in a 5 inch high bulkhead, really tight to get the slope needed.
Instead of a wye, maybe Ill use a sanT to transition from horizontal to vertical

I think that the shower wont need a separate vent since it is only 4 ft from main stack.
I will try and convince my friend to use atmospheric vent for the washer, he's scared of the roofing work. Its just a boot, I don't get it.

This work is being inspected, so thanks for the quick reply, especially on a holiday.

much obliged,

Back