Ford Grip Joint help!!!! Pex pulled free ~wasted 30,000 gallons!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littletunny

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Per the thread title - The water company recently installed a 3/4" meter box for my new house. I wanted to install a hose bib for the contractors to use during construction.

I attached PEX to the water company supplied FORD GRIP JOINT.

It was very straightforward. Loosen the grip nut and install the PEX pipe, tighten 1.5 to 2.5 past hand tight.

I pressure tested the line and everything looked good. I backfilled the trench and left. 1 week late we had a good rain, must have moved the PEX somehow.

The PEX pulled out!!!

I dumped 30,000 gallons out at 85 psi over the course of a day!!

I wasnt happy!.

I reinstalled the PEX in the ford grip joint and found it was waayyy too easy to pull out. The GRIPPER RING doesnt seem to be gripping very well!.. I understand i was supposed to use a stiffner INSIDE the PEX but that doesnt change the fact that the gripper doesnt work.

I tried to fix it by ordering a 3/4 push x 1 female sharkbite. Well didnt realize the ford meter box make side it straight pipe NOT NPT so the sharkbite didnt work!!

I have since purchased copper to come out of the FORD GRIP JOINT and wanted to flare the copper so it couldnt pull out however any flare will not allow the copper tubing to be insterted into the male side of the ford meter box!!

Running out of ideas!!!

I dont like the design of the FORD GRIP JOINT but cant seem to find an alternative that has straight pipe threads. All the fixes are NPT.

THANKS!!!!!!

IMG_20160513_074225435_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160512_201941605.jpg

cameringo_20160521_183101.jpg

IMG_20160529_092143527.jpg

Don't know what type of threat type those are, but for temporary adding waterline . I use 3/4 inch female hosebib on meter spud . And garden hose

Thanks xtramile, what is the standard thread type for a Ford meter box? I am assuming it is straight pipe, non tapered. I guess the female side of the meter spud has the same threads?

Is the male 3/4 side of the spud tapered threads or straight threads?

Thanks!!

OK guys, I'm waiving the white flag, the only water meter spuds I could find we're NPT not straight pipe threads.

I was able to flare the copper just enough that if it did cut loose, it wouldnt exit the flare nut. After this short 3" copper piece, I will connect a 3/4 shark bite that connects to the 3/4 PEX.

Hopefully it holds!!

A jones supergrip nut may fit on the ford. I have never had an issue with them holding copper.

Your screw up with the PEX was not using a stiffener. Never compression fit plastic pipe without a stiffener! Flaring the copper tubing may impair the sealing of the joint too. The Ford fitting is good, you just have to use it right. If you continue to feel the need to find ways to incorrectly use fittings, stop and get a professional.

A Ford coupling with a screw that bites into the outside of the plastic pipe is what's needed. Also, the plastic pipe shouldn't be laid taut under ground. It should have a serpentine or loop to allow for expansion and contraction which will also pull the pipe apart.

fordcoupling.jpg

Yeah, that's it frodo. Ford Pack Joint Coupling.
"3. Machined grooves in the clamp provide additional
gripping action"
The only type of coupling I use on HDPE water services.

Last edited:
A Ford coupling with a screw that bites into the outside of the plastic pipe is what's needed. Also, the plastic pipe shouldn't be laid taut under ground. It should have a serpentine or loop to allow for expansion and contraction which will also pull the pipe apart.

We call those compression and the ones Frodo is talking about a supergrip but I also don't use much Ford product, it is usually Jones or AY McDonald.

My last boss loved using HDPE to cut costs on new construction jobs and used the quick joint couplings and they all kept blowing off. The final straw was when we put the meter spread in a finished basement after the trim and turned the water on. The family moved in that night and woke up to the basement flooding in their new home. He finally started buying the right couplings and also left slack in the pipe for expansion/contraction.
He still would never listen regarding gas services, though. How many risers and meters leaked after installation I couldn't count. you could see a few days after the pipe was buried the riser being yanked away from the house. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think.

Latest posts

Back