Under slab DWV Does this look right?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levi

Reaction score
Looked odd to me but I figured the guy knew what he was doing, Starting to have doubts about that.

This is a very large master bath. There is no direct vent for the toilet or the tub. The only pipes that go up are the 3" standalone vent (on shower wall) and 2" for vanities (connects to the 3" in attic)

First pic sketch of pipes under slab, not to scale.
Second pic, overview...pipes left to right: shower, 3" vent, lavatory, tub, toilet
Third pic, closer view, left to right: shower, 3" vent, tub

IMG_2764.JPG

2016-03-13 12.30.41.jpg

2016-03-13 12.30.59.jpg

Your suspicions are correct. The tub, shower and toilet need their own vents. If the job is being inspected then the inspector should catch the problems before concrete is poured and also that the proper backfill is used such as gravel, sand, etc.

Concrete is already poured, house is half finished at this point. Inspector passed it. Other bathrooms are similar. Getting very worried

to be blunt. **** plumbing

no vents, incorrect backfill, pipes not bedded, i see voids under pie

that means bellys and stoppage latter

someone is plumbing that does not know what they are doing

if inspection passed...you have a inspector that is overworked and is just signing permits,
not doing his job

Keep the pics on file if you have a responsibility to this build. I don't know what your position is relating to the project, but if there is an issue and it should not have passed inspection you should cover your butt with a log of the installation process via photos.
If you have loss of trap seals, especially while other fixtures are being used, after the job is finished then the venting may be the cause. what was the fill used under and around the pipes before concrete was poured?

This is my parents house, I'm just keeping an eye on the build since they live far away and aren't very savvy. The work was done by a licensed plumber and close friend of GC.

These pics were taken while work was in progress, did not get any more pics until after it was covered with plastic ready to pour concrete. Not sure about the fill, probably sandy soil on site.

Remember, guys, that this is Florida, which is under IPC. Any combination of fixtures in two bathrooms that are on the same floor can be vented by a single wet vent. The lavatory in this situation would serve that purpose. That being said, there are what appears to be multiple code violations in this picture. If that 3" is indeed nothing but a vent, then it cannot be installed horizontally as it is between the combination and the sweep. So you can't count that as a vent. Only one fixture can be installed upstream of the connection of the wet vent. With the bathtub and the shower past the lavatory, that code appears to have been violated as well. Also, the arm to the tub looks to be a little bit on the long side. IIRC, 8' is the max on a residential 2" trap. Not 100% sure on that one.

If that 3" is indeed nothing but a vent, then it cannot be installed horizontally as it is between the combination and the sweep. So you can't count that as a vent.
Yes the 3" is only a vent, it is enclosed in the shower wall. Not sure I understand this. Are you talking about the short horizontal piece between the combination and the sweep up to vertical? So would it have been correct if the vent had risen straight up out of the combination?

Can't measure the tub trap arm, but the straight line distance between tub drain and vent pipe is is 6.5', so figure in the 45 and I think it is still under 8'

Last edited:
Positive, that is a vent pipe, it is enclosed in shower wall and goes to the roof. It may be 4". Here is pic in wall. (I think the pipe above the wall goes to the lavatory vent, but I'm not sure, I'd have to look)

I recall him saying there had to be at least one 4" vent somewhere in the house for some reason. The other fat pipe on the right side of the other pic is the toilet. Toilet has no vent, pipe stops at flange. All pics are same bathroom.

2016-05-05 13.14.49.jpg

Last edited:
If that 2" line going to the left of the 3" or 4" vent is a vent for a fixture it is pitched wrong and it looks like the reducing tee is going the wrong direction. That piping job looks terrible from the start. I would have moved that under ground to the right and picked up those fixtures.

Waterpipe isn't even strapped on that shower. I am used to seeing wet loops around here in ground.

I checked, it is a 3" not 4". Functionally, what are the consequences of these errors? Will tub and shower siphon traps?

I was really concerned about the toilets (it is about 15' away from the main line/vent), but I am reading that under Florida code the toilet can be an unlimited distance from the vent, so is the toilet ok?

Last edited:
Yes the 3" is only a vent, it is enclosed in the shower wall. Not sure I understand this. Are you talking about the short horizontal piece between the combination and the sweep up to vertical? So would it have been correct if the vent had risen straight up out of the combination?

Can't measure the tub trap arm, but the straight line distance between tub drain and vent pipe is is 6.5', so figure in the 45 and I think it is still under 8'

Regarding the vent, yes, you are understanding it correctly. No horizontal vent pipes until it is 6" above the rim of the fixture.

The toilet will be fine. Eventually that 3" flat vent will probably get blocked off from solids deposits in it, but the lavatory will still vent the bathroom. If the 3" were the only vent for the whole bathroom, it would be a problem.

Thank you. My only recourse is to bring the pics to the chief inspector. Thinking about that, but I am afraid that would start a &*$^storm and they might make them tear out the slab. Much as I'd like to make it right, I think that would bankrupt the GC and then the house would never get finished.

Anybody want to see the other bathrooms?

Last edited:
Bathroom #2
top of photo (eft to right):

Lavatory with vent
3" Vent to Roof (vent only no fixture)
Shower drain

Bottom of photo (Left to right):
Tub drain (no vent)
Toilet (no vent)

2016-03-13 12.27.05.jpg

Last edited:
The biggest concern I would have with the underground is to be sure that there are no bellies or backfall in any of the piping.

And where you would look for such a problem is at the twin wye in the middle of the underground. They are usually not approved for horizontal installations according to code.

Latest posts

Back