Strange Toilet Problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhumm2

Reaction score
I have a 20 year-old house with the original toilet in the master suite connected to the septic tank. I've replaced the guts, water valve, and wax ring. After putting it all back together, I poured a box of Walmart brand septic treatment down the bowl (aerobic bacteria is all it is I believe). Anyway, I've been having problems with it for a while and nothing I'm doing seems to make a positive difference. It "burps" at the beginning of a flush, flushes slowly and develops a nasty smell between uses. The last one has me stumped because of the ptrap, but it not only smells badly, the water even gets cloudy after a while. A flush will fix that temporarily, but even the bowl has a yellow film up to the water line. I've poured water down the stink pipe, from the roof and it does not fill up so I'm assuming the stick pipe (air vent) is clear.

What do I have to do to get a nice easily flushable toilet that doesn't stink between uses?

When was the last time the septic tank was checked visually or pumped? Also, if you have an anaerobic system, the aerobic additive is useless.

I had the system pumped out 1 year ago this July. The company that did the pump-out said the tank needed it, but was in good working order. I'm under the impression that all septic tank systems are based on aerobic bacteria since anaerobic bacteria creates a bio-mat as their waste accumulates which is slow death to a septic leach field.

What would the toilet tank and seat have to do with the toilet not flushing properly?

Funny that was posted....because yesterday I went to a service call where a toilet wasn't flushing properly, and office staff had tried to fix it themselves. Everything was torn apart. The tank was half off, seat removed and they even took the handle off the tank before they decided they didn't know what they were doing. I put everything back together....unclogged the bowl and was on my way in 15 minutes

Maybe it was that guy!

Back