Anything wrong with this installation?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levi

Reaction score
This is for laundry room, Washer/Dryer and laundry sink. Picture 1 is original installation, which failed inspection due to notching structural post. Picture 2 is during repair, Picture 3,4 is final, repaired installation. What do y'all think? See any issues?

2016-04-29 14.11.54.jpg

2016-05-13 17.54.05.jpg

2016-05-15 20.14.09.jpg

2016-05-17 15.17.43.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. Photo 1 passed inspection for the plumbing, it was the framing damage that required him to redo it. I assumed he was using the vent for the washer dryer like a stack (the middle pipe extends to the roof) Not ok?

Photo 3 passed inspection but with a note that said "A.A.V. and S trap", so I guess the inspector noticed the lack of vent this time. I guess he wants the AAV due to lack of vent, but why would he call for an S trap?

As for the cleanout, I haven't seen a single cleanout in the rough plumbing. Should I be concerned?

By the way this is a slab house in Florida.

So are you saying that IS an S trap, or it NEEDS an S trap?

I'm getting worried. The kitchen island (sink/dishwasher) has no vent, it is notated to have an AAV. For each bath, the only direct vents are behind the vanity (one 2" vertical pipe for pair of double sinks) and in the shower wall (3" vertical pipe) There are NO verticals near the tub or toilet, they are presumably vented by the 3" in the shower wall. (Tub is 6-1/2' away from this pipe, toilet is 9-1/2 feet, but connects to drain about 15' down the line) The 3" vertical pipe starts the run and turns horizontal under slab. The shower, tub, sinks and toilet drains wye into the 3" below the slab and it continues to a 4" which picks up the other bathroom branches then goes to the septic.

.................do not know what kind of laundry sink you are useing,,but most need the drain around 12 above the floor

if yours is a free standing unit..better take a look

The drain is about 18" from floor. Type of sink is still undecided due to another issue.

Not sure I understand your drawing. Is what you are saying is that it would be okay to share the vent if it was above the trap for the standpipe, but not below? Does the 3'3" mean it is okay for the sink drain to share the vent if it is less than 3'3"? Because it is about 35 away from the vent"

the inspector was not telling you want he wanted,

he is telling you those 2 items are the reason he turned you down

the sink you have plumbed right now has an s trap in it, an s trap is illegal.

you can make that washer/ laundry area legal by plumbing it as i drew it.

BasementBath.jpg

The drain is about 18" from floor. Type of sink is still undecided due to another issue.

Not sure I understand your drawing. Is what you are saying is that it would be okay to share the vent if it was above the trap for the standpipe, but not below? Does the 3'3" mean it is okay for the sink drain to share the vent if it is less than 3'3"? Because it is about 35 away from the vent"

yes, it is called wet venting, as long as you are less than 3'3''

Florida IPC, 1 1/2" is fine for 2 DFU's. The inspector has noted that the sink needs an AAV because of the S trap piping arrangement. Not the way I would do it, but with an AAV, it meets code.

Just to be clear, I did not do any of this work, and won't be fixing it myself. The GC's buddy did this and I have seen enough errors to warrant some concern. I appreciate you guys for helping me sort out which justify further investigation, and which do not.

If those two fixtures are going to share a vent they should be connected by a double sanitary tee, not stacked one on top of another.

Inspector is satisfied with adding an AAV at finish. I am concerned an AAV will get in the way of other things she may want to do (cabinetry, etc) and would like to avoid it. Can I get a few alternatives fixes that would eliminate the need for AAV, starting with the least destructive?

Last edited:
With everything being open and accessible at this point....settling for an AAV is downright stupid. Just because the "inspector" passed it at this point does not make it right. He missed some obvious code violations. An inspector who knew what they were doing would make this "plumber" re-do the entire thing

Make him properly vent the laundry sink, there's no reason not to. Vent it the same way you did the washing machine, and tie the vents together either in the attic, or above flood level. It should also be 12" off the floor, not 18".

Last edited:
My last conversation with one of our inspectors relating to the subject of AAVs being used on new construction jobs went like this.

Me: The builder says AAVs will be used on the trim, that's why there is no vent run for the lavs.

Inspector: Not any more. There have been too many short cuts and these builders are leaving out the AAVs on the trim and claiming vents are behind the walls. Conventional vents only on new construction and variances have to be submitted in writing as per the code for AAVs on remodels.

Me: Okay.

Not sure why he didn't vent it above, except that he didn't think he had to. Not sure I can get him to change it......since it passed inspection he thinks it is fine. There is also one for the kitchen island. I'm a little concerned they will be hard to access behind deep sinks in both rooms. The GC's favorite line is "lets just see what the inspector says" and the inspectors are pretty lax here.

Inspector: Not any more. There have been too many short cuts and these builders are leaving out the AAVs on the trim and claiming vents are behind the walls. Conventional vents only on new construction and variances have to be submitted in writing as per the code for AAVs on remodels.

I thought AAV's had to be fully accessible... :confused:

Back