Basement utility sink backs up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artistg90

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been having a problem with my utility sink in the basement draining extremely slowly. My wash machine drains into the utility sink and it takes hours to drain. I have used drano twice which seemed to help temporarily. When the utility sink is full and someone flushes the toilet the floor above the full utility sink gurgles. The main soil stack is cast iron and the drain from the utility sink to main stack is also cast iron. Any idea what I could be causing this? Thanks for the help.

Do you think its a blockage in the line going from the utlity sink to main stack or a blockage somewhere in the main sewer drain? I have no other drainage problems anywhere else in the home.

Thanks for all the help. Ended up having a nice clump of tree roots in main sewer line that was causing the issue. For good measures I replaced all of the cast iron from the utility sink to main stack with pvc. Fun Sunday project.

How old is your house? Some of the older ones out my way have dry wells for washing machines and kitchens. House I live in now does and it is a nightmare for the washing machine.

Oh...

By any chance, did you used to work the counter @ FERGUSON in Rockville a few years back?

Never Ferguson. I worked at Vamac and now at Northeastern. My son works at Ferguson in Man*******.

The house was built in 1940's and is on town sewer system. Hoping this will also fix the problem of an odor in my house i have been having.

Latest posts

Back