Is this softener resin?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaslim

Reaction score
I just bought a Morton M34 Water Softener. When running bath water, a light brown/yellowish sand type substance is piling up near the drain. When I bypass the water softener, this does not happen. The people at Morton told me to return it because the distributor was ruptured. So I did, which was extremely difficult. I exchanged it and installed a new one. The substance is still there! Could I really have gotten 2 defective water softeners? I've attached a picture.

Thanks!

tub.jpg

This is the resin shown-

Water-Softener-Resin.jpg

Either another bad one or your house distribution system needs to be flushed.

A good reason to install a post filter after the softener... :cool:

ADDENDUM (Fr.)-

Especially if the softener is also used as as a filtering media (sediment-iron-magneseum-other).

Last edited:
Sure looks like softener resin. Like KULTULZ says, flush the plumbing to be sure there isn't some left in the pipes. I don't agree with the post filter though. I just don't like them.

Would you rather drink the filth? The only thing wrong with them (IMO) is people not servicing them.
Those things don't catch anything harmful. Besides you need a little roughage in your food and drink. It's good for you!;)

try putting the softener in a bypass mode. Then flush the system. Open tub and hose bibs and hopefully you get it all flushed out. once it is all flushed out, put the softener back in service. Might have a lot of residual stuff left in the system from the previous failure

Those things don't catch anything harmful.

One will surely catch that resin. There are different elements for different filtering needs.

Besides you need a little roughage in your food and drink. It's good for you! ;)

:eek:

Are you implying that I pound sand (resin in this case) up my posterior (I already have enough lead) ?

:D

One will surely catch that resin. There are different elements for different filtering needs.
It would have caught the resin and stopped water flow all together. Most people put them in front of the softener (another useless install) so that wouldn't have done any good at all.
Are you implying that I pound sand (resin in this case) up my posterior (I already have enough lead) ?
Absolutely not, I'm just repeating what my Wife tells me all the time.

Generally, the reason for resin in the water supply is because of a reverse hookup. In = out - out = in. Not that I would ever imply that a DIY'er would ever do something like that.

It would have caught the resin and stopped water flow all together. Most people put them in front of the softener (another useless install) so that wouldn't have done any good at all.

Well yes, at some point it would stop flow altogether but with a clear canister/bowl, one would be able to monitor any sediment/condition of element (resin in this instance). I would rather change a filter than to ingest the media.

If going to UV, they (manufacturers) recommend a filter before the UV unit.

If you don't filter the water, your body becomes the filter.

We should just agree to disagree. I simply have no use for those filters at all. Not a lot of people are aware of the fact that back in the day when these things first came out they were designed as one faucet filters. Because that's all they are good for in the first place. Then someone had the bright marketing idea of calling them "Whole house filters". It apparently caught on, but that doesn't make it true.

Latest posts

Back