Where does responsibility of homeowner begin?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulper1

Reaction score
Hello – I have a depression in the concrete on the street in front of my house. I was told that it’s not in danger of caving in anytime soon but at some point in the future it could be. I called the city and they sent someone out and he said that it is possible that it is my responsibility to get this fixed and pay for it. The man that came out (a very nice person btw) indicated that if the cause of the depression is from water line on my property and not from the main line, it is my responsibility. In other words, only the main line would be covered by the city. He said that he’ll be sending out a colleague to send in a scope to take pictures to see what the cause is.

I’m reading “For Pros by Pros Plumbing”. This book is copyrighted 2006 so perhaps what I’m about to quote has changed since then, but this hasn’t been an easy thing for me to obtain information on in other locations (b/c I’m a major newbie with this). In the book it indicates that “the responsibility of the owner starts on the house side of the water meter. The owner must arrange to fix – and pay for – any repairs to this side of the water system”. It shows a drawing of the main water line at street connected to a water meter, indicating that this is the utility’s responsibility, and then the water line to the house and to the main water shutoff is the home owner’s responsibility. The link below hopefully shows what I’m referring to.

https://books.google.com/books?id=F...on the house side of the water meter"&f=false

My water meter is in my house in my basement, right below the main water shutoff of my house. I’m not sure if there is an additional water meter that’s separate from this and closer to the main water line at the street.

So, I’m asking for people with knowledge in this area to provide me with a little assistance. Do you believe (assuming I am quoting him properly above) I received correct information from the city worker? This is stuff that I really don’t understand at all so I’m hoping for some help. It’s also something that can get really really expensive if they indicate that it’s my responsibility.

Thank you for reading and replying.

Without pics of specific location, it is anyone's guess.

I know the sidewalk in front of my house was popping up from a tree that the city owns, and when I inquired with the city, they said it was my responsibility. I said that he could forget it, and would have my lawyer contact him if and when I tripped. Within a week, they removed the unsightly tree and repaired everything...at no charge to me.

can not say about your instance.

different towns have different easementr/bylaws

typically, the city owns the water / sewer main in the street.

it is your responsibility if it is on your property. or, outside of the easement.

you need to find out the easement

BasementBath.jpg

thanks for your replies. i now have more information for when i talk with the city. i appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back