Surfacing cleanout above finished floor?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skuba

Reaction score
Hi,

I converted half my garage into living space and have this new patio outside the bedroom. The plumber placed the cleanout at slab level. It currently has a plastic plug. I have a mason installing brick over the slab this week and we are trying to solve for the cleanout. The cleanout was placed right outside the patio door so I am trying to find a visually pleasing solution. My drains are 5" square brass or bronze, so I would like to keep the cleanout cover at 5" or less, and ideally, square as well, specially making it easier for brick install.

The cleanout has a 3" tread. I can't find an extension with a cover. I am guessing another solution is to just leave the cleanout alone, with the plastic plug, and just put a cover flush with the brick to provide access. Or another way, could we just put a lose brick on top of the cleanout to allow access? is that done sometimes as a solution?

I am not a plumber, so excuse my ignorance on the matter. I went to a plumbing supply shop and they couldn't figure out how to do it.

I appreciate help here.

Thanks

cleanout.jpg

GOOGLE- Plumbing Clean-Out Covers

Below is an example-

aba-cleanout-access-covers-8870.png

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/cleanoutplugs.html

GOOGLE- Plumbing Clean-Out Covers

Below is an example-

aba-cleanout-access-covers-8870.png

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/cleanoutplugs.html

I am aware of those, but they are very big and unsightly. Unfortunately the plumber put the cleanout right in front of the patio door, so I am looking for a more discreet solution.

Also, the drains are brass/bronze finish, so I am looking for something that matches, and that won't rust either.

Thanks

The cleanout plug is actually under the slab, so I think we can use a full brick. And then we put mortar under brick but leave access to the plug I guess?

just put some pllastic wrap over the plastic so the motor wont stick.

be advised>>>if you need to use the clean out, you will have to replace a couple of bricks

since the bricks made tomorrow will not match the brisks made today

but a dozen brisks in a box in the garage for latter use ;)

I am aware of those, but they are very big and unsightly. Unfortunately the plumber put the cleanout right in front of the patio door, so I am looking for a more discreet solution.

Also, the drains are brass/bronze finish, so I am looking for something that matches, and that won't rust either.

Thanks

:confused:

Brass Floor Cleanout Access Covers

Square crown with access cover and screws - 7" sq

Also-
adj-cleanout-metal-squaretop-aco701rs.jpg

Hi all,
Thanks for all the feedback. My former GC got a hold of the plumber and he said we could permanently bury the cleanout. He said that, if needed, one can always snake through the 2 drains, one being very close to the cleanout (see pic). And just for good measure I am asking the mason to keep it accessible under the brick. And I will mark the bricks covering the cleanout in case of emergency.

Do you guys think it's ok? Depending on the situation could it be a lot harder to snake through the drain?

Thanks all

IMG_8965.jpg

Last edited:
The clean-out is there for a reason I would not bury it in concrete nor would I listen to the plumber who told you to do that I think if you leave it accessible underneath the bricks you'll be fine.

Hi, for the many reasons stated before we have decided to leave the cleanout alone and accessible in case of emergency, but cover it with a brick. The brick won't seat on mortar and can be easily removed just by breaking the joints.

Is it ok to leave the plastic plug or should it be of a different material? The cleanout is cast iron, do we need to add anything (to the treads?) to make sure the plug is tight and sealed? Any last advice before we put the brick in?

Thanks so much

IMG_9016.jpg

Since you already have what appears to be a drain fixture only a foot or two away from the clean out, why not just put a clean out floor fixture (with a solid cover) over the clean out? That will save you a lot of hassle, including brickwork, when the clean out is needed.

As to the clean out "not being needed," your plumber put it there, either because code requires it, he knows it will be required in the future, or he was just increasing his billing. Suggesting you bury it just increases his future work.

Hi all,
Thanks for all the feedback. My former GC got a hold of the plumber and he said we could permanently bury the cleanout. He said that, if needed, one can always snake through the 2 drains, one being very close to the cleanout (see pic). And just for good measure I am asking the mason to keep it accessible under the brick. And I will mark the bricks covering the cleanout in case of emergency.

Do you guys think it's ok? Depending on the situation could it be a lot harder to snake through the drain?

Thanks all

I would not clean a main line or a 3" drain line through a 2" clean out.
A lot of techs do, but they are using undersized cables and cutting heads to do an efficient job.

In an emergency and only a quick fix, I have opened a stoppage with a cable designed for 2" drains.
But if there is a significant root problem you're not going to clean it very well with a smaller cable and you might even get it hung up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back