garbage disposal drainage questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pf4711

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a double sink, and when I run the garbage disposal, water can shoot violently up out of the sink drain on the other side. A plumber looked at it when here for something else and suggested replacing the T with a T that has a flange or baffle.

This is 1 1/2". Does anyone know where I can find this part? Or the easiest way to solve the problem? They did not have them at Ace Hardware. At Lowe's, they showed me some sanitary T parts for PVC piping, which were bigger and would require adaptors, meaning there may not be enough room for the additional piece and adaptors, or i would have to start cutting and reattaching the pipes moving them around. I can't seem to find anything online - all the sanitary t's seem to have no threads, and the T I currently have has threads on the outside of all 3 pipe directions...

Thanks

A picture of the setup is attached.

IMG_20160515_115344078_HDR.jpg

Frodo,

thanks for the info.

I stuck my finger in the hole you marked on the garbage disposal, and felt a solid surface in there about a finger length deep. You think I can stab at it with a screwdriver and knock it back into the garbage disposal, or pry it out somehow?

The tube goes through a cabinet to an area behind the dishwasher (frame bottom left in the photo). I have no idea where it goes after that. Do you think I can just try this? Or would I need to remove the dishwasher and confirm the tube is pointing up and attached somewhere?

Hi,

I have a double sink, and when I run the garbage disposal, water can shoot violently up out of the sink drain on the other side. A plumber looked at it when here for something else and suggested replacing the T with a T that has a flange or baffle.

This is 1 1/2". Does anyone know where I can find this part? Or the easiest way to solve the problem?

A picture of the setup is attached.

attachment.php

frodo said:
stick a screw driver in the hole on the disposal, knock out the plug.

hook the hose up to that, use a worm drive clamp

make sure the hose is looped up to the bottom of the cabinet and tied off

cap the ptrap

drink a beer

:confused: (except to drink a beer)

How will re-routing the DW drain to the GD prevent the discharge from the GD from shooting into the other sink drain?

Is the tee coupling on the non-disposal side a directional tee, or is it just a normal tee?

Is the tee coupling on the non-disposal side a directional tee, or is it just a normal tee?

The 2 tees in the background are directional sanitary tees. The tee in the foreground that is right off the garbage disposal is just a regular, non directional T.

do not pull the dishwasher.

take the white drain hose, and connect it to the garbage disposal, after you knock out the knock out plug

the hose, needs to loop up and attach/tied off to the bottom of the cabinet, before it connects to the disposal

2015-12-21_1656.jpg

if the hose is to short, go buy some more hose..
use a 4'' piece off copper pipe and 2 clamps to connect the 2 hoses

mr David is correct,,,get a directional tee for the continuous waste

Last edited:
I've never seen a dishwasher piped to it's own trap before. :eek:

The T W/baffle is available but is easy to clog.

EndOutletTee.jpg

Read This- http://www.nettally.com/palmk/GDplumbing.html

I got a tee like the one pictured above and installed it - "continuous waste" or "disposal" or "baffle" tee. It seems to have solved the problem. Not sure what the guy at Lowe's was jerking me around and acting like they didn't have the part and I'd have to use different sized PVC and adaptors. That obviously was not true because I ordered one online and it works fine.

Thanks

I got a tee like the one pictured above and installed it - "continuous waste" or "disposal" or "baffle" tee. It seems to have solved the problem. Not sure what the guy at Lowe's was jerking me around and acting like they didn't have the part and I'd have to use different sized PVC and adaptors. That obviously was not true because I ordered one online and it works fine.

Thanks

Simply because he is an idiot and had no idea what he was talking about.

Thanks

Now that baffle tee can present some problems, mainly getting plugged up with trash. Just keep your eye on it.

The DW draining into that standpipe worries me.

Pipe Blockage _2 DWV.jpg

I have never used tubular. I always have done my continuous wastes in regular sch40 pvc. It's bigger and less likely to clog. Like I said, never seen a separate standpipe for dishwasher in these parts.

Latest posts

Back