Water heater help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtraMilePlumbing

Reaction score
Thanks in advance. Would you guys know why a two year old water heater would put out hot water one day then cold the next day. It's in a restaurant 50 gallon gas.

If a gas water heater is not making hot water, the burner is not firing.

This can be for a variety of reasons. Does it have a pilot, and if so, is it staying lit? If you can get the burner to light, what does the flame look like?

I'm going to look at it tommorow morning , I'll look out for a weak/ out of place orange flame. I'm taking a cold water dip tube , just to be safe

They make EZ-outs that should work on the dip tube. They have a reverse thread so when it reaches the maximum width thread, it will reverse the pipe out of the hole. I think I also saw a Chinese knock off of this at Harbor Freight or Sears recently.

No I couldn't get a grip with needle nose. A plumber just told me . Those don't come off on ao smith wh. Also I should install a recirculation pump.

You should have an owners manual. If not, GOOGLE the make and model no. to access a service manual.

What is all of the particulate on the top of the heater?

:confused:

It (Ill) shows no dip tube in the inlet (cold side) but shows a Fill Tube (12) on the Hot side?

The secondary anode rod (27B) (if so equipped) either replaces the fill tube (12) or is used in conjunction with.

Either the fill (dip) tube is part of the WH asm. (not serviceable) or the Ill is incorrect....

Sometimes you can use the handle of channellocks to stick down inside and the curve of the handle will wedge in and you can twist as you pull to remove the dip tube.

This tank should be an FVIR tank so could they possible be using bug bombs or chemicals that are causing a shut down or flash in the burner compartment? I understand that a reset would have to take place after an FVIR tank shuts down but I'm spitballing ideas to maybe lead to a final explanation.

It's too late too ask them if they've used bombs. And for me too try to pull out the hot water nipple to try to replace the dip tube, im almost certain that they're problem is either the dip tube or the heater has lost recovery time due to scale build up. I recommended the man a recirculation pump

I'm contraricting myself . A recyrc pump only helps in getting hot water fast. They're problem is they are running out of hot water at the end of the day.. I think they need a bigger water heater

It's a 50 gallon in a commercial. They said it was working fine for 2 years . They're valve is set on high . I think its full of sediment making recovery time last longer

Latest posts

Back