New Construction PEX vs CPVC

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levi

Reaction score
Just so there is no confusion, I have been posting here about THREE different houses. The subject of this post is a new house in the planning stages in Florida.

Considering three options:
1) Traditional CPVC branch supply system
2) PEX branch system (small manifold in each bath, kitchen, etc)
3) PEX HOme run system (one main manifold, all supply lines home run)

Two plumbers I called said PEX would cost MUCH more than CPVC....Yet I have noticed the cheap tract home companies are switching to PEX, and they always take the cheapest road.

So which is it? Perhaps the plumbers I called simply prefer CPVC?

Opinions?

The cheaper home builders use pex because they save time on labor for the installation. I have remarked on threads in the past that most plumbers are so fast at installing pex because they do not install it properly. CPVC requires a bit more time to cut and glue and cure while pex installers eyeball a lot of the connections, cut and crimp with no wait time to test or turn water on. If there is a leak, pex is easier and faster to repair.

I have studied this question for years and have opted to always use option #2. Even when repairing a CPVC system, I repair with PEX.

I just got an interesting perspective from a plumber. He said the big builders are being wined and dined by the Pex companies, with kickbacks, rebates and special pricing, to incentivize them to installing PEX systems. The smaller companies aren't being wined and dined, and face costs to train employees and outfit every truck with Pex tools and supplies....so for now they stick with CPVC, and charge a premium for Pex jobs.

I just got an interesting perspective from a plumber. He said the big builders are being wined and dined by the Pex companies, with kickbacks, rebates and special pricing, to incentivize them to installing PEX systems. The smaller companies aren't being wined and dined, and face costs to train employees and outfit every truck with Pex tools and supplies....so for now they stick with CPVC, and charge a premium for Pex jobs.

I think that every contractor on this site would agree that is just a BS answer from somebody who doesn't want to admit that they don't know.
The supply houses offer incentive through your gross purchasing dollars per year or per quarter and use a matrix to figure what your wholesale cost will be based on that spending. It's not exclusive to pex, it applies to all purchases and is quite universal in the industry.

i would say go with pex, but, if you use pex, only use 1'' as your main feed
to each manifold
use 3/4 off the manifold to the fixture.

only.use 1/2'' to stub out the wall and for the icemaker

That actually sounds like a great idea, but I think the manifolds I have seen are all 3/4 in and 1/2" out. I'll keep looking, and will also have to find a plumber 'round here who likes pex

That actually sounds like a great idea, but I think the manifolds I have seen are all 3/4 in and 1/2" out. I'll keep looking, and will also have to find a plumber 'round here who likes pex

while your thinking about that as a good idea

look up the inside diameter of pex pipe not the outside
as compared to cpvc ID [inside diameter}
you will see WHY i said to run 1'' and 3/4''

1'' in pex is actually 3/4 and 3/4 is actually 1/2''
not exact,but reallllllll close

build your own manifold, cheaper than buying them

2015-12-21_1656.jpg

Last edited:
ohhhh! You know, I wish I could plumb the house myself. The supply I could handle, but I don't have the confidence to design the DWV system...or is it the DVW...LOL. This crazy plumber working on my folks house has gotten me scared. He is truly the plumber from hell. I could post some scary pictures. Hopefully I can find a good plumber who will take these ideas into account.

Absolute nonsense from a plumber who does not want to invest in new equipment or learn new improved methods. Stay as far away from this "plumber" as you can.

Back