Proper Washer to Septic Venting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeMonkey

Reaction score
Hi everyone. In the image below you can see where I was planning on connecting a P-Trap at Circle 1 for the washer. I had originally intended to connect it to Circle 2 which is a vent for the septic (fyi, that plug is just sitting there unattached in Circle 2), but I guess I cannot do that and I must drill a brand new hole for the inlet. I still need to vent, however, and I was told by the inspector that I could not vent it to Circle 2 either and that I'd have to connect it higher up the vent pipe. I think that is simply because Circle 2 is lower than Circle 1 where the P-Trap would be. So if I simply drop the P-Trap below Circle 2, can I then connect to it for venting? Or is there another reason I cannot connect there? Thanks!

plumbing.jpg

No that is incorrect as to what you propose.
The vent connection for the laundry drain has to be 6" above the flood rim of the stand pipe ( Laundry drain inlet)

plumbing.jpg

Last edited:
No that is incorrect as to what you propose.
The vent connection for the laundry drain has to be 6" above the flood rim of the stand pipe ( Laundry drain inlet)

Well that sucks. Can you explain the purpose behind that? I can't understand how the additional pipe leading up to the T above the washer inlet would be any different than connecting lower and using the pipe that is already there. Not saying you're wrong, I just want to understand. Do you also know where the regulation is? I don't know how I'm supposed to cut the pipe between the pink foam if indeed this is a requirement. Any tool recommendations or must I rip all the foam and wall apart just to get a saw in there??

The vent has to remain dry and waste free. it protects the water seal in the trap. if vent was connected below the flood rim of the fixture and there was a stoppage in the drain, it would back up into the vent and spill back into the drain.

multi floor sink stack.jpg

images67M8Y92J.jpg

images0SEWF0JT.jpg

Last edited:
The vent has to remain dry and waste free. it protects the water seal in the trap. if vent was connected below the flood rim of the fixture and there was a stoppage in the drain, it would back up into the vent and spill back into the drain.

I guess I understand what you're saying, but it seems quite unlikely that it would clog after the P-Trap and vent connection such that it could back up into the vent at all. Is this really required in Michigan specifically? The inspector said nothing about my sink connection which also did not vent above the sink.

codemonkey,

No, it is not "really" required. the plumbing inspector is pranking you and he called up Mr David to help prank you also.

go ahead and hook that lil SOB up below the rim , call the inspector back and tell him the joke is on him.

be sure to poke him with your finger and say "tag! your it" when he shows up

he likes that

a.jpg

107172015.GIF

codemonkey,

No, it is not "really" required. the plumbing inspector is pranking you and he called up Mr David to help prank you also.

I'm up early this morning.
Daughter woke me up because my dog took a dump in my kitchen this morning. Now that that has been taken care of, Thought I'd visit the PF.

Now that is FUNNY!!!!

Inspectors are not quality control. They are code compliance inspectors.
They don't always catch all the things they should.
They can even misinterpret things that have been done correctly and often force you to prove them wrong. But when you do that, sometimes they start looking for more things that are wrong. So you have to pick your battles carefully.

plumbing.jpg

correct, on the common blockage.

that is why i install a co in the vent 48'' above the floor .

so you can clean the washer drain with out pulling the washer.

you can put a stop to that dogs nasty habit by rubbing his nose in it.

then swat {{{not beat]]] I said swat his rear end with a folded news paper while saying no

and pointing at the door.

then,,,,if he whines at you to get up, its your fault if you dont open the door.

I HAD a pet door, till a racoon was sitting on the counter eating the wheaties

Last edited:
I have 4 dogs here and a doggie door.
This one is old and partially blind. I think he was heading out but didn't quit make it to the door.

This pic is about 10 yrs old

DSC04303.jpg

Just wait until that pump can't keep up with the washer. Is why it's recommended to drain into utility sink. Here anyway.

Latest posts

Back