toilet drain : 90 deg bend vs. 2x45 deg bend

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecm3

Reaction score
Hi,

Trying to set up new drain for toilet. Going to do a branch from main using a combination wye (horizontal) and then turn up to the flange where the toilet is.

My question is, does it drain better to split into 2 x 45 deg bends vs. a 90 deg long turn elbow where it goes up to meet the toilet flange (see layout)?

toilet drain.jpg

Thx

Last edited:
The main stack (2" vent) is about 2 feet away. I've updated the picture in the original post to include the main stack.

A quick question: the max distance from a drain to the nearest vent needs to be within 5 feet.

Does that refer to

the actual horizontal run thru' the piping (in this case, it'd be 2 feet down to where the branch meets the main, and then back almost 4 feet to where the main goes up the main stack -- that would be 6 feet total run),

OR

the direct horizontal distance between the drain location and the vent (drawing a horizontal straight line from the flange to the main stack) which would be roughly a little over 2 feet then)?

Update:
A plumber just told me that 5 ft limit was for P-trap. Not for toilet drain.

Last edited:
little confused about your drawing

the vent needs to be rolled so that the inlet is above the center horizonital line of the drain.

and you can not tie another drain into that vent., as your drawing shows

2015-12-21_1656.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

The line you crossed out is the existing main line where the rest of the bathrooms's drains (tub, shower, sink) come into,

I don't think I can throw all that away.

Here's the drawing hope this clarifies.

toilet drain schematics.jpg

Last edited:
Back