Incompetent Plumber & Grinder Pump - 200' Pipe - Septic System Troubles

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerrha1

Reaction score
This has been a mess from Day-1 with an incompetent plumber and it is now Day-300. Tomorrow he will fail the plumbing final inspection for the most unbelievable concoction of a grinder pump setup that would have to be seen to be believed. That however is for another discussion....

The 2" PVC line from my outbuilding grinder pump, toilet, and sink that runs to our main house septic system is 200 feet long. At 4 locations in this line my incompetent plumber placed 4 vertical sections of PVC pipe with a cleanout adapter and plug at ground level. My assumption was that these are cleanout locations for future use. Nice idea but, when this was inspected, the inspector looked at them and said that is not what they are, but he did not pursue it further. I should have because they have been buried now for 4 months.

Recently, my landscape guy warned me that one of these seemed loose and not connected. So, I dug down into that location and I found that the cleanout adapter and plug that is visible on the surface goes down about 18" through various PVC fittings to a 2" galvanized nipple, which itself threads (or is supposed to thread, but this one was mis-threaded) into a standard 2" SxSxFPT tee fitting.

My questions: Does this fitting arrangement make sense? What would these be for and should they not be real cleanout fittings?

It would be best to post some pictures of the piping and fittings to get a better idea of what was trying to be accomplished and why the inspector would make such a statement.

As you can see in the photo, the 2" sewer pipe from my outbuilding is the horizontal line in the photo. The larger 4" pipe behind it is a drain line for our downspouts.

So, the plumber put this 2" socket-socket-FPT tee in the sewer pipe. Then there is a short 2" galvanized nipple threaded into the tee followed by the PVC components leading up to the surface. All of these you can see in the photo.

There are 4 of these in the 200 feet of 2" line starting at my new workshop and ending where it joins our house 4" main sewer line directly above the septic tank. They are located such that one would assume they are planned for future use cleanouts. The inspector said that they are not cleanouts.

Do these look reasonable?

IMG_5034.jpg

he installed a Cleanout in your line every 50'. altho the code requires it to be every 100'
50' is better if you are using 50' of cable.

I would not have chosen the fittings he used but what he is using is fine

why are you calling him incompetent ?

the job has lasted 300 days. is this his fault or the framers or other contractors fault ?

Incompetent is being kind on my part....

This small outbuilding has one sink, one toilet, and one floor drain. Due to lower elevation, a grinder pump system is required for the sewer line outlet to our septic system. The architect planned this system to be installed in the back corner of my outbuilding. This is inside of the building, so a hole in the concrete slab was required into which the grinder system would be installed along with the drain and sewer lines. Initially, I told the plumber I liked the Liberty Pumps Provore system, but he ignored me.

In October 2015 he failed the first inspection for plumbing in ground for 5 items. We got over that.

The building was totally finished except for the plumbing and external stucco in December 2015. Stucco was done the end of January.

In January, the plumber came in and installed what you see in the photos. I told him that very day he was making a mistake. Again he ignored me and left. This unbelievable mess still sits there today. My building is unusable because it has not passed plumbing final inspection. The first time the inspector saw this on February 2, 2016, he was speechless. The outlet from the toilet is supposed to dump into this uncovered plastic garbage can with big holes cut into its sides. Then in theory, once the sewage builds up high enough in the garbage can, the pump will start pumping it out through the pipe to our septic system. Remember, this whole thing is in the back corner of my workshop!

I have tried to contact the plumber 25 times since February and he only replied one time - telling me they were solving the problem.

IMG_5039.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

IMG_5041.jpg

yeah,,,incompetent was being kind

my next question, or statement
you did not pay him up front did you ?

the test tee he used as a cleanout, will work if you dig it up to clean it out.

a cable is going to be a sob to make it around the bend.

a combination should have used,,

also, i would have just installed a 2 way co at 100' then you can clean 50' back to the house or 50' away

2015-12-21_1656.jpg

Is this guy licensed to contract plumbing work? If so, he should loose his license.

I am a$$-u-me(ing) a permit was pulled (as an inspector is (was) involved and the plumber was licensed properly.

If an inspector comes across a nightmare such as this, does he have any authority to examine whether the plumber is actually licensed (or just a trainee turned loose on the job) or must the customer complain to whomever?

Well, the company itself is a well known company in the Houston area. In fact, that same company did the plumbing for our new house, which was completed about 6 months before this work in my outbuilding was done.

A permit was pulled by the company for this job, but I do not know if the guy who was here doing this work was himself licensed or not. I cannot get anyone from the company to even take me seriously that this needs to be fixed. One guy came out here since February and he could actually speak English unlike all of the other plumbing people that worked on this. He told me that they would order the correct equipment and solve the problem. However, despite numerous emails and phone messages, they have not communicated with me since then.

As far as payments go, the contract was broken into two phases. Although the distinction between Phase 1 and Phase 2 is not exactly clear, I have paid for Phase 1, which was 70% of the total cost.

I think he wants to quietly slink away from this mess. So, my plan is to have this inspected officially. When it fails, I will then have two records of failed inspections. I can then feel OK about firing them and hiring someone else to fix things. I suppose I could then take the original guy to court and recoup some of the cost. I am not sure if I will do this though. I just want to be able to use my new workshop! I don't know what else to do?

houston is a upc state inspection
I plumbed the Hertz/ Avis parking terminal at houston intercontinental
when the inspector walked on my job, he stuck his hand out introduced him self and said I want to see
a license.
I joked with him and handed him my drivers license..LOL...
they are good people,
if it is a well established plumbing co.
call the inspector, have him give you documentation of failed inspections
send a certified letter to the company, giveing them one week from receipt of letter to finish the job
or you are hireing another co, to do the work and further communication will be from your lawyer
go on his face book and slam them. with pictures, DO NOT LIE,, only tell the truth
no law against telling the truth
hire someone else to do the work, sue them, make them pay the other plumber
and attortney fees

if you need a good plumber, earl blackburn northshore area

Thanks...

And this was supposed to be such a simple job - just putting in a small 1200 square foot workshop with one lousy sink, one toilet, and a floor drain.... Nothing but a headache from day one with the HOA, concrete, and plumbing fiascos.

A permit was pulled by the company for this job, but I do not know if the guy who was here doing this work was himself licensed or not. I cannot get anyone from the company to even take me seriously that this needs to be fixed.

One guy came out here since February and he could actually speak English unlike all of the other plumbing people that worked on this.

laugh.gif

I'm sorry as it is on no way laughable and I feel for you but this new Third World Society we have been thrust into is becoming an every day trial.

Wish you luck... ;)

Latest posts

Back