Culd use advice on best way to go about replacing septic system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billok

Reaction score
I will try to keep this succinct since time is money for a lot of you. I am in Northeast OK

I have a piece of property I plan to build a 50 x 30 structure on. The structure will go on a cleared area that has an old septic system in the ground. The system was installed in early 2000 according to the documentation I got from DEQ.

The ground has been driven and parked on over the past 16 years which I'm sure has compacted the leech field. Also, the header is a bit too far north. I'd need to be moved a bit south for me to be able to build, but not by much.

The cleared area is higher on the west. It's like a little hump about 10 - 12 inches at the highest point. (It's higher in the front than the back.) According to the drawing the 600 feet of lateral line (1000 gallon tank) is buried in the eastern lower portion. I want to raise the elevation on the lower side to more match the higher west side. I don't mean 100% level. It'd still be a slope, just a much less drastic one.

The leech field is 8 - 14 inches underground. Adding 10 - 12 inches of dirt over it means it'd be 18 - 26. So between that and the fact that the field is compacted, it has to get dug up regardless. Not to mention the header needing to come down a little.

I want to put in a whole new system. I want to upgrade to a 1500 tank and put the new tank directly opposite on the east side but a bit more south to allow room for my building and then angle the lateral line east to west instead of the west to east it is now.

This means re-using that leech field. Well technically re-using it. Like I said, the elevation would be higher so the field would sit higher.

I'm wondering the best way to go about this. Obviously I need a soil or perc test done. I think they don't do perc tests any more but instead soil tests. I want a conventional septic. The soil was perc tested in 2000 but the ground has gotten hard after being compacted for so long by driving on it.

If I hire someone to design it can they take the elevation change into account for me and make that part of the design? What are the rules on re-using leech fields? I've heard some areas will let you replace leechfields if it is done to repair the current system, but if you plan to replace the system you have to use a different area for the leech field. This is the only area that can be used for my field. There was a trailer on the lot about 4 years ago. The leech field has been left alone all that time so it's probably dry. Had the tank inspected and it is in good shape, but I'd like to size up to a 1500 in case I build another structure there east of where I want the new tank.

Is it possible to have the soil tested to make sure it can accept a new septic system and then at that point get the required permits to have the current field dug out / disposed of. And then I can get the ground how I want it and later on hire someone to design and put in a new system? That seems like the easiest way to do it in terms of getting the lot how I want it.

Thanks for reading.

Edit - Called DEQ who said I can re-use the field as long as there is enough room for 8 feet between the lines. So I need to have a soil test done I guess. Should I add the new dirt and make the changes to the elevation before requesting a soil test? DEQ site says they go down ten inches. If I'm adding 10 - 12 inches wouldn't having them do the test before I add it give them a false read?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back