Remove sink drain that was installed with silicone?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmblbee

Reaction score
My first post on the forum and I'm desperate for help with this one. We are moving into a new townhome built buy what we thought was a reputable builder. The kitchen is roughed in for a waste disposal with a switch and plug in the cabinet under the sink. I have installed several disposals in the past and it's not a difficult job. In trying to remove the old drain on the stainless steel sink I discovered that the drain was installed using silicone rather than plumbers putty. :eek:
I have tried to put pressure on the drain from the bottom to see if it will release but no luck. The bottom of the sink begins to flex up it's attached that well. :mad:
My only thought at this point is to use a bottle jack from the bottom to put pressure on the drain and heat the drain assembly with a torch to see if that will release it from the stainless sink. My concern is getting the sink hot as well and discoloring the stainless.
Would any of the chemical silicon removers penetrate the seal between the sink and drain without harming the stainless?

Thanks for your help with this one :confused:
Bob

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'll remove the ABS pipes and put a catch basin under it to catch the acetone if it releases.

SUCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

First try at acetone revealed that the painters had used the sink to clean their stuff and since we had not done a thorough cleaning the acetone slowly leaked into the bucket under the sink. :mad: Why are there so many idiots out there?:confused:

Cleaned out the drain and got a big can of acetone and gave it another try.

Ten minutes into the process every thing got loose and the drain released from the sink. SWEET!!!!

Frodo - I owe you big time - cold beverage of your choice any time we meet! I will be sure to pay this tip forward to others in our complex who run into the same problem.

Got to love the internet - :)

For all the grief you saved me I'll buy a DOZEN! Come & get it.

Back