Replace/Fix Stub-Out Drain Pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmsch

Reaction score
While replacing a vanity faucet this weekend, I found that the drain pipe going into the stub-out does not have the raised lip that helps lock it into the p-trap. Please see the pictures below, and sorry if my terminology is not correct.

This is a 35 year-old house in Cobb County GA, and no doubt this wasn't code. I'm guessing the previous owner must have cut the head off that pipe for whatever reason. As long as I'm doing this, I'd rather do it correctly. It appears that the drain pipe is glued into the stub-out and I can't see any way to get it out to replace with a proper pipe.

While searching for answers, I found two things, but they might be overkill for this project: a PVC Fitting Saver and a RamBit. Looks like I would cut the drain pipe off at the end of the stub-out, then use one of those tools to ream out whats left, just enough to glue in the proper drain pipe.

Am I on the right track here, or am I missing something obvious?

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

you have 2 choices, useing a hacksaw or hacksaw blade

cut where i show on #1 cut,,,then cut the fitting in 2 places as shown

peel the small pcs off the pipe with sharp screwdriver.

then peel the fitting off the pipe.

or

cut the red line and useing a ram bit,,drill the fitting out

Ok, thanks. What size rambit would I need? The only size in all of this that I'm sure of is the current j-bend is 1 1/2.

Look for a pasco ram bit.
What's wrong with the threaded adapter that's on there now?
is the trap ell stuck inside of it?

Look for youtube videos on how to use ram bit.
maybe practice on a fitting with a pc of pipe glued into it.
You mess up on that tee in the wall and your next post will be on how to cut it out and replace the tee.

zzzzzzz.jpg

Yep, the j-bend is stuck inside the threaded adapter. Tried to work it out, but it broke off. Getting the ram bit today.

In my case, the stub-out is not a T, its just a 90 degree elbow. There is do drywall behind the back of the vanity cabinet, so worst case, I can cut out the back of the cabinet and get to the drain pipe pretty easily.

Went to my local plumbing supply guy, who I believe has been in the business since the invention of water. :D

Asked for the ram bit and he asked what I was doing. When I explained the situation and showed him the pictures, he said that the ram bit would destroy the current trap adapter, since its made of plastic. He kinda lost me when he started getting into the details of "tubular" vs "plastic". From what I could understand, it seems that the ram bit is made for using on a PVC pipe in a PVC fitting and that the trap adapter is plastic and would most likely shatter. Kept saying he would sell me the ram bit, but had a better idea.

Bottom line: instead of spending about $30 on the ram bit, I ended up spending $3 on this:

IMG_2099.jpg
[/URL]

Thanks again for the help guys. I cut the threaded neck off (#1 cut from frodo's post above) and put the adapter over the remaining neck. Took a couple minutes to get it on there, but everything is working fine.

IMG_2100.jpg

Yeah I see those all the time. They work and since you are a D.I.Y'r it will do.
Not something I would do, but good job.

Back