Help with sewage ejector: what kind, and what configuration?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlukas

Reaction score
I'm building a detached MIL unit in my back yard. The MIL's main waste line will tie into the waste stack in the main residence, which exits the basement floor. This is a run of 60'. However. the point where the waste line exits the MIL is about level with the cleanout at the bottom of the basement floor, so I can't use a normal gravity sewer.

So I need a sewage ejector, and I have very little context for understanding the difference between a $500 unit and a $7,000 unit. The MIL is a small studio, with a 3/4 bath, kitchen sink, and washing machine. How do I decide what kind to get?

I also have questions about configuration. Do I put the ejector immediately outside the MIL, have it pump waste vertically a couple feet, and then have a normal gravity sewer line from that high point to the house? Or should I use the ejector to set up essentially a pressure sewer system for the entire 60' distance from the MIL to the house? I have seen both configurations but can't find any info about when to use each (probably because I don't know the right nomenclature).

Thanks much!

PS: In case someone suggests tying into the side sewer rather than the waste stack in the house: the reason this isn't an option is that where I live (Seattle), the county will charge you a $10,000 hookup fee if you connect a detached dwelling to the side sewer anywhere after the cleanout.

EDIT: x-posted to http://www.doityourself.com/forum/w...what-kind-what-configuration.html#post2529257

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back