Help with solution for cast iron toilet flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike8

Reaction score
New home owner here and I'm in the process of attempting to re-do the flooring in my bathroom. After removing the vinyl flooring and pulling the toilet, I discovered that there is a cast iron toilet flange which seems to be set in concrete that had a wax ring sandwiched between the toilet. It seems the toilet flange including the bolts are pretty rusted out.

I'm planning to use self leveling compound to level out the floor then install tiles. I'm needing some advice before I regret pouring the self leveling compound all over the floor.

I'm not sure if just using a wax ring or two will be sufficient to prevent the new toilet from leaking due to the adjusted height of the self leveling compound + mortar & tile.

I wanted to get some input on how I should address the toilet flange properly.

Is it a good idea to follow the steps in this link? http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-Toilet-on-Concrete-with-no-Closet-Flange/?ALLSTEPS

Any input/suggestions is greatly appreciated :)

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

FullSizeRender 5.jpg

IMG_6234.jpg

IMG_6235.jpg

Flange appears to be in good condition stacking 3 wax rings won't be a problem but more than two is bad. If your worried about stacking using a cast iron insert flange will raise it with no effort at all View attachment 11716

Thanks for your reply. If I do decide to go with that type of insert flange instead of using wax rings, I've read that the recommended installation for the flange is on top of the finished floor. What are your thoughts?

Yes it is recommended you insert can be set to floor level

Latest posts

Back