Utility Sink, Sump Pump, Old & New Plumbing HELP!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawtooth

Reaction score
I am replacing an old concrete utility sink and i want to make sure i get the plumbing right.

i will be removing old pipes and installing new.

i have included a photo of the existing piping ...overlaid with what i plan to do

not sure about the directional tee's (spacing?) and i will need factor in a clean out some where in the piping.

any thoughts?

thank you in advance ST

a.jpg

aq.jpg

Last edited:
i will have to check the pump rating.

coming from the upper floors:

first floor: kitchen sink and dishwasher

second floor: tub/shower and bathroom sink

total fixture units on a 2'' horizonital pipe is 8 upc code

with, ks,dishwasher,tub,sink, and utility sink you are at 7.5 right now

what state are you in ?,, are you under ipc or upc code?

you are already over what is allowed on a 2'' line

sump pump is 40GPM (3840 per hour)

working left to right per your white arrows:

its 2.5" to 2" OD

i am in new york (not the city)

i was also hoping to plumb in the washing machine discharge into this setup. currently its draining into the concrete utility sink.

and not that it matters ..but its a small dishwasher

Last edited:
if i understand correctly i would "y" off from the 2.5" OD for the sump pump??

IMG_1234.jpg

ok. thank you for your patience.

first off...do i have it right?? (see diagram)

and secondly...what if that pipe that connects to the upper floor actually only goes to kitchen and is not tied into anything else??

again thanks for your patience.

NEW PIPE.jpg

if its not a vent? tie in the two vents and then out the side of the house..correct??

Last edited:
i found out yesterday that having the sump tied into the sewer drain was not up to code.

obviously the code has changed since the FO's installed the current sump...or they just didn't care.

however i DO NOT have problems with sewer gas

i do not plan on having code enforcer over for dinner any time soon.......

Last edited:
can i plumb the utility sink and washer drains together with a common vent?

NEW PIPE1.jpg

Last edited:
2" pipes on the sink drain and washing machine waste pipe

with a 1 1/2" vent??

Usually those pumps cannot stand up to the flow that the washer pumps. You may need to put drain hose into utility sink to slow it down. That's the way it's done down here. But either way, to me it looks like a cluster ****.

the washer is currently draining into the old -double drain-concrete sink which will be replaced with a single drain plastic utility sink.

i am not sure how much of a "cluster ****" it is...however most retro fittings are a "cluster ****"

but when its all said and done the sump will have its own 2" pipe feeding into the main sewer pipe.

everything thing else will connect into a 3" pipe which will connect to the main sewer pipe.

i was just curious if i could use a single 2" connection to the 3" pipe for the utility sink and washer drain and vent them together.

Latest posts

Back