Venting washing machine drain through side wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffpas

Reaction score
Purchased a 3 unit triplex in a borderline neighborhood as a rental, which I've been slowly renovating in my spare time.
Its not a very large building, in fact the two downstairs units are basically efficiencies, one or 2 rooms each. The upstairs is a two bedroom family unit, the 'suite'.

I had the brilliant idea of hiring a plumber to put washing machine hookups & drain in the upstairs apartment, even though I certainly could have rented it without.
The result was what you see here (see pic).

Now for the bad luck. I finally got one of the units finished and rented downstairs, and the renter signed a year lease.... but then decided to leave after a few weeks (lost her job). I got in a dispute with her over the deposit since she broke the lease.... so as a parting kiss on her way out, she called the City and summoned in 5 inspectors to scour the building for any offenses. Plumbing, Building Structure, Electrical, etc.

They found very little in her apartment but the plumbing inspector lit up like a Christmas tree when he found this plumbing work upstairs. "NO air chambers on water for wacher, IPC 890-1210f; Mechanical devices shall not be installed in lieu of vent piping IPC 890-1470g. Plumbing contractor needs to pull a permit before any units are rented IPC 890-200"

Basically the vent the plumber had used was for a mobile home, and it should have been vented out of the building. I'm bringing him back to correct the work as soon as he can get to it next mid week, though he says he's charging me T&M.

Enough misfortune, now for my question..... My assumption is the vent pipe should go straight up through the roof- but its a flat roof, and I assume the more holes you punch in a flat roof the more you regret it. Not to mention I may have to hire a roofing contractor to make the roof vent up to code. The inspectors have told me my building is a 'commercial residence' so I have to hire out licensed contractors to do basically anything.

Since the pipe is so close to the wall, is it possible just to make a slight turn to the left, and vent out the wall instead? Its on the 2nd floor. I'd just like to make double sure this time.
Thanks for advice-

plumbs.jpg

Last edited:
He's making the case that he 'tried to save me money by doing it cheaper'.
The side of the building is concrete block, which would be a deal to drill through anyway. It seems fairly simple to go through the roof, its already on the 2nd floor, just don't want to put another hole in a flat roof :/

Cripes I could do it its easy enough to get up there, just drill a 2" hole in the roof and extend a PVC pipe 12" above the roofline, saw off the AAV vent and stick it on.
Save whatever hell has to be done to keep it from leaking. But he's not doing that part says I need to have a roofer lined up that day.
He better not charge me $100.00.........

I'm wondering about the cost effectiveness and future problems of putting another hole in the flat roof, plus having to drill a vent hole in the concrete block wall to vent the dryer.... maybe I should just eat the original $500 loss and just take it out. Its just one more thing for the City inspectors to harass you about.

How important is it for a 2 bedroom apartment to have laundry hookups anyway? The renters would have to buy their own washer and dryer, and then I have to worry about possible leaking or whatever. There is a coin operated laundromat about 5 blocks away.
Anyone have any opinions??

Its got rolled asphalt strips, one over the other.
I have a relative who is a roofer, he said to cut a U in the asphalt shingle, pull back and put a neoprene boot under that sleeved around the 3" vent pipe, and seal top and bottom.
He didn't think it was that big of a deal. Going out the concrete block wall I think is going to be quite a job, and could crack the masonry even.
Unfortunately also I have to put a 4" hole in somewhere for a dryer vent. That I assume will have to be in the wall. I know, I'd like to abandon this but I've stupidly sunk $500.00 into it already.
And to rip the plumbing out, and let the smirking and vengeful renter have me waste half a thousand by their parting inspector call is a bit more than I can bear at this point I'm afraid. :/

Last edited:
BTW Neoprene boots don't last as long as lead, but get these comments on this roofing talk page and the quick fix for a neoprene repair if the seal ever weathers out. It sure seems like a 10 minute fix for 10 years. Keep it simple stupid, right?
Thoughts??

http://talk.roofing.com/t/pipe-vent-flashing-question/6230/8

"Don't put any lead on your house. You will soon regret it. It will be worse than Asbestos siding or Lead based Paint regs. Trust me on this one. I advise all my clients to throw away their lead vents while they still can. In the future, it will cost thousands to remove. Same goes for copper plumbing with lead solder and lead drain pipes...."

"Trick I learned from tinner: take a regular 3 in 1 boot, cut off the flat area that normally sits on the roof, and slide the top portion over the pipe and over the old boot. Likely will buy you another 10 yrs."

Last edited:
Just drill a hole.
Just make sure you far enough away from the edge or vertical walls so the flashing will fit nicely.
set a flashing in place.
wipe a little mastic on the under side of the flashing.
nail it down
Push the vent up through it
seal it with mastic.
Don't loose any sleep over it.

Can't you use air admittance valve (studor vent) to vent it! Just make sure it is highier then the drain outlet, as close to ceiling as possible. How come he didn't use a washing machine box?

Latest posts

Back