Help adding bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remer9

Reaction score
Hello! I am wanting to add a second bathroom to my home on the second floor. It is directly above the kitchen, which is next to the only other bathroom. They have a wall back to back directly beneath this was shown. The upstairs is just a empty room that was mostly rough plumbed by the home builder many years ago and never finished. As you can see, there are water lines and the ABS vent pipe for the first floor.

If needed, the dimensions of the room are 10' x 6'. The ceiling height is 88", the roof slope begins 28" from the open wall and drops down to 67".

I am hoping to not have to tear the floor up to do this project. I have a rear drain toilet and raised platform shower in mind, assuming the ceiling will accommodate this.

My questions are: Would there be any issue tying into this wet vent pipe to use as the drain? Is my plan feasible/realistic?

Any helpful information/advice would be wonderful. Thanks!

bathroom.jpg

You can NOT WET vent the fixtures below with fixture from the 2nd floor.

UPC

908.1 Vertical Wet Venting.

908.1.1 Where Permitted. Wet venting is limited to vertical drainage piping receiving the discharge from the trap arm of one (1) and two (2) fixture unit fixtures that also serves as a vent not exceeding four (4) fixtures. Wet-vented fixtures shall be within the same story; provided, further, that fixtures with a continuous vent discharging into a wet vent shall be within the same story as the wet-vented fixtures. No wet vent shall exceed six (6) feet (1,829 mm) in developed length.

908.1.2 Size. The vertical piping between any two (2) consecutive inlet levels shall be considered a wet-vented section. Each wet-vented section shall be not less than one (1) pipe size exceeding the required minimum waste pipe size of the upper fixture or shall be one (1) pipe size exceeding the required minimum pipe size for the sum of the fixture units served by such wet-vented section, whichever is larger, but in no case less than two (2) inches (51 mm).

because the code says not to

wet venting is for 1 and 2 fixture unit fixtures ONLY

toilet is 3

If I understand this correctly, you're saying that you can have 2 fixtures tied in?

i.e. a sink and a shower or toilet

I'm not concerned about the code, only function. If you can have 2, why not all 3? Thanks

If I understand this correctly, you're saying that you can have 2 fixtures tied in?

i.e. a sink and a shower or toilet

I'm not concerned about the code, only function. If you can have 2, why not all 3? Thanks

NO, I said fixture units, not fixtures

IF you tie the sewer from the 2nd floor into the 1st floor vent.

down the road, S.H.I.T will bubble up out of your tub/lav/ toilet

and flood the first floor.

it will also, back syphon the water out of the ptraps causing your house to smell like a sewer

Last edited:
NO, I said fixture units, not fixtures

it will also, back syphon the water out of the ptraps causing your house to smell like a sewer

Pretend I don't know anything and you're speaking to a novice.

Code notwithstanding, can any or all or the bathroom be plumbed without running another waste pipe, which isn't really feasible?

The professionals here are proud of their work, and most, if not all, are licensed. I'm sure they could care less if you chose to bend the codes, but I guarantee you that they won't provide help since codes are in place to protect everyone, including yourself.

My point exactly. Saying "It's code" is a lame excuse for saying you can't do something. No one will ever see it. I'm asking if there are adverse consequences for plumbing it the way I asked about.

Well, this seemed to answer your question pretty well.

Hire professional plumber since you obviously can't listen to directions and don't want to

My point exactly. Saying "It's code" is a lame excuse for saying you can't do something. No one will ever see it. I'm asking if there are adverse consequences for plumbing it the way I asked about.

Saying its code is not a lame excuse. We say it to someone who does not know anything about plumbing because it would be way to complicated to explain how your entire plumbing system works Ina small thing like this when it takes years to master and understand. It's also insulting to question someone who has dedicated there life to mastering a skill when you clearly have no respect or reverence for what we do every day. I doubt you question your doctor when you see them, but it's the same concept. Plumbing taks years to master I been doing it 10 year and some of these guys probably have forgotten more then I even know. The point is if you tie into your wet vent it's going to screw up your whole system end of story. It's code so that won't happen. I don't want to type all day long explaining why it will jack your stuff up. You asked for professional advice and it is don't do it or it will jack your stuff up. If u do it anyway we tried to tell you what would happen when when you post again asking why you smell s.h.i.t in your house

It kind of answered the question. I'm not really understanding how or why he came to that conclusion though.

It is a 3" pipe and from the chart I'm looking at that means it can support 24 fixture units. Currently there is a toilet, shower, and 2 sinks for a total of 9 units. Adding a toilet, tub, and sink would add 7 more for a total of 16.

Saying its code is not a lame excuse. We say it to someone who does not know anything about plumbing because it would be way to complicated to explain how your entire plumbing system works Ina small thing like this when it takes years to master and understand. It's also insulting to question someone who has dedicated there life to mastering a skill when you clearly have no respect or reverence for what we do every day. I doubt you question your doctor when you see them, but it's the same concept. Plumbing taks years to master I been doing it 10 year and some of these guys probably have forgotten more then I even know. The point is if you tie into your wet vent it's going to screw up your whole system end of story. It's code so that won't happen. I don't want to type all day long explaining why it will jack your stuff up. You asked for professional advice and it is don't do it or it will jack your stuff up. If u do it anyway we tried to tell you what would happen when when you post again asking why you smell s.h.i.t in your house

My prospective is that you should never just learn how to do something, you should understand how it works. You do this by asking questions, no matter to whom. Doctor, plumber, it makes no difference. Critical thinking is extremely important and anyone that has respect and reverence for their own profession would be glad to explain it. Our world is filled with unnecessary and arbitrary laws that continue to exist because the right questions aren't being asked.

Wet venting is only allowed on 1 and 2 fixture units because of how much water is drained out. Meaning if u drain a lavatory sink the volume is not so great it will fill the the line trapping air. If you tie in a toilet up stairs when that toilet flushes the air for your down stairs fixtures will have no where to go. as the air tries to escape it will try to find a place to go doing 1 of two things either sucking the water out of the traps and toilets or causing gurgling which is also not good. If your okay with these out comes then go ahead and do it. Your whole system won't drain right. I understand it would be way easier to tie into the wet vent but it just is not possible

It kind of answered the question. I'm not really understanding how or why he came to that conclusion though.

It is a 3" pipe and from the chart I'm looking at that means it can support 24 fixture units. Currently there is a toilet, shower, and 2 sinks for a total of 9 units. Adding a toilet, tub, and sink would add 7 more for a total of 16.

908.1 Vertical Wet Venting.

908.1.1 Where permitted . Wet venting is limited to vertical drainage piping receiving the discharge from the trap arm of one (1) and two (2) fixture unit fixtures that also serves as a vent not exceeding four (4) fixtures. Wet-vented fixtures shall be within the same story; provided, further, that fixtures with a continuous vent discharging into a wet vent shall be within the same story as the wet-vented fixtures. No wet vent shall exceed six (6) feet (1,829 mm) in developed length.

908.1.2 Size. The vertical piping between any two (2) consecutive inlet levels shall be considered a wet-vented section. Each wet-vented section shall be not less than one (1) pipe size exceeding the required minimum waste pipe size of the upper fixture or shall be one (1) pipe size exceeding the required minimum pipe size for the sum of the fixture units served by such wet-vented section, whichever is larger, but in no case less than two (2) inches (51 mm).

Last edited:
Wet venting is only allowed on 1 and 2 fixture units because of how much water is drained out. Meaning if u drain a lavatory sink the volume is not so great it will fill the the line trapping air. If you tie in a toilet up stairs when that toilet flushes the air for your down stairs fixtures will have no where to go. as the air tries to escape it will try to find a place to go doing 1 of two things either sucking the water out of the traps and toilets or causing gurgling which is also not good. If your okay with these out comes then go ahead and do it. Your whole system won't drain right. I understand it would be way easier to tie into the wet vent but it just is not possible

OK, so it would be fine to have a tub and a sink? Just not a toilet?

Does the 1 and 2 fixture unit standard account for a modern toilet that only has around 1 gpf?

Latest posts

Back