Water leaking into Bowl every few minutes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm_trooper1234

Reaction score
Hello there,

I've been having a recurring issue with my toilet where it intermittently will make a whooshing like sound and some water will escape into the toilet bowl. It doesn't happen every single time the toilet flushes but does happen most of the time and when it does, it can repeatedly do it every 5-10 minutes all through the day. I've had no issues where water is flowing outside of the bowl or anything else and I've also tried switching out the flap to no success.

It's increasingly frustrating not being able to determine what the issue is and caused by as well as how it can be repaired. I'm sure it may be something simple but it's an aggravating noise and occurance that I'd like to get fixed.

If anyone has any insights as to what the issue is and what might help take care of it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

It's the flapper and or flush seal depending on type of toilet

I no you switched out flapper but it could be defective I have seen that before I would do that first. Other option is replacing the flush valve which is what your flapper sets on if new flapper does not fix it. The flush valve could be broke which is rare or the gasket has swollen so much it prevent flapper from fully coming down to form a proper seal which is more likely. Without seeing toilet it's the best I can do for ya hope that helps

Is it possible there is a pressure relief toilet ball cock and filler valve installed (Photo 1)?

How about a fill valve as shown in Photo 2 ? Known to leak.

Is the fill tube and hose adjusted correctly (Photo 3)?

Thermal Expansion Relief- Toilet Ball Cock and  Valve - WATTS GOV 80-10.jpg

Toilet Fill Valve.jpg

Toilet- Refill Tube and Clip - FLUIDMASTER 218.png

Grasshopper....
th

the valve you posted, turns on when the water level drops,
he is not having a problem with the tank filling,
he is having a problem with the water leaking out.

only way water gets out of the tank, is cracked tank, or leaking spud washer or leaking flapper
or the cat drinking it

he has not mentioned any water on the floor, so rule out cracked tank and spud washer

all that is left is flapper and the cat :D

which one do you think it is ?

Grasshopper....

th

the valve you posted, turns on when the water level drops,
he is not having a problem with the tank filling,
he is having a problem with the water leaking out.

only way water gets out of the tank, is cracked tank, or leaking spud washer or leaking flapper
or the cat drinking it

he has not mentioned any water on the floor, so rule out cracked tank and spud washer

all that is left is flapper and the cat :D

which one do you think it is ?

If the refill tube is pushed down to far into the overflow tube the tank will siphon into the bowl.

THANX JOHN!

The first valve I showed is a PRV (in lieu of a TET). If it should be activated, it would add water to the tank and if enough pressurized water is released, will flow from the overfill tube into the bowl.

The second shown is famous for leaking. Same scenario, water overflow tube.

Am I possibly vindicated here or is it back to the service truck hunting that damn elusive LH monkey wrench... :(

Latest posts

Back