Harbor Freight ripped me off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I was ripped off at my local Harbor Freight. Here is the letter that I sent their customer service representative.

From a decades long Harbor Freight supporter,

I went to your local store today to purchase some safety items. The regular price was $8.99, but this week only, the price had dropped to $1.99 for your hearing protectors. You also had safety glasses that had a regular price of $4.99, but this week the price was only $1.99.

Much to my surprise, when I went to pay, the cashier asked if I was a member. I told him that I sure was, and even provided my phone number to look it up. He then explained that I was not a member, but only an email subscriber. To get the price on these sale items, it would be necessary to pay $40 for an annual membership.

So now Harbor Freight has gone the way Costco has gone, you need to pay to play?

First of all, in my opinion, this is fraudulent false advertising. I do not appreciate your misrepresenting of sale items and these fraudulent tactics. Yeah, you may have found a way to rip off long time supporters such as myself, but I will not tolerate these tactics.

From this point forward, I will pay a few dollars more from an honest business, who hasn't stooped to these tactics.

It has been fun,

*******, Ca. *****

They can go kiss my arse. Sports Chalet is closing down this week and hopefully, this Chinese POS supporter will fall the same way real soon.

Their items are cheap becasue after you buy four of them you spent what it would take to buy quality the first time.

I bought a complete tap & die set. it was cheap but thought it might come in handy to clean up a bolt or hole. You never have one when you need it.
What a piece of crap.

The only thing I have found of quality there is rubber gloves and box wrenches although the box wrenches have a lot more metal than a quality set. That part gets annoying in small spaces.

I use the blue 5mil. Don't have issues with them. The 3mil break looking at them.

Nope. I never expected this from them. Maybe if I wrote the ***** letter in Chinese, I would get a reply?

am seriously thinking about building a coop and getting me some chickens

And then you could use a toilet seat as a door!

I miss having chickens.

Have to carry a magnifying glass to read their fine print.
I bought a flooring nailer from them. At checkout the clerk said it only had a 90 day warranty.....so I bought the extended warranty. When I got home I read the instruction manual....the last page said 90 day warranty for Commercial use or as a Rental otherwise 1 Year warranty. I bought it to do my house so I figured I'm good for 1 Year. I called HF Customer Service for clarification and was told warranty is only 90 days. I said the manual with the tool said 1 Year for me. Customer Service said only 90 days because that's what the HF Web site says. I said I didn't buy it via their Web site. I got tired of the back and forth. Next I called the phone number on the extended warranty paper work to ask when the extended warranty starts....after 90 days or 1 Year? Hmmm....good question. They're taking in a lot of extended warranty $. I tried to call the HF Legal Dept to get an explanation. Never got to talk to a real person......must be in court litigating lawsuits.
It wasn't the $ but just the inconsistency in their practices.
The flooring nailer worked!!! I called Customer Service to inquire about replacement parts e.g. seals, and was told that HF didn't have them. I said that this qualifies the tool as a throwaway. Customer Service rep told me it's not a throwaway and to try EBAY for parts.
I eventually filed a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of my State's Attorney General's Office. HF offered to refund the warranty $. I told them I'd prefer clarification of their warranty policy. I never got it.
Bottom line....caveat emptor. When you buy from HF hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

Nope. I never expected this from them. Maybe if I wrote the ***** letter in Chinese, I would get a reply?
If you really want an answer file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of your State's Attorney General's Office.
I did.....see my lengthy post in this thread.
HF Customer Service is useless and their Legal Dept is permanent voice mail.

Barring that, I know a couple of words in Mandarin that are NSFW. :D

Back