Washing machine drain gurgles in shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vtmster

Reaction score
I've noticed my shower drain will gurgle when my washing machine drains. Then I watched the shower drain as the washer drained, the water in the ptrap rises a few inches, but then will recede down. I have no other issues with draining, but am confused to the original washer drain plumbing. Anyone seen anything like this?

20160221_114307.jpg

There is a venting issue your washing machine drain is trying to use your shower drain as a vent also it looks like your washing machine drain doesn't have a p-trap it kind of looks cobbled in.

I know it's a bad pic, but the pipe at the top of the photo is a vent stack, and the p trap is installed at the bottom of the photo...I'll try to take a better picture when I get home tonight. I'll check out my vent stack too

Looks like a double santee at bottom of vent. what's on the opposite side of the autowasher trap arm connection? a clean out plug I might presume.

venting issue or a partial stoppage maybe causing the water seal to flutter in the shower drain

20160221_114307.jpg

It's definitely a venting problem however there factors which play into This what size pipe are you draining the washer into? It should be 2" and have at least 18" from the top of the drains to the weir or seal on the trap also how close is This washer in relation to the shower drain?

negative on venting issue, you have a partial blockage that is causing the water to back up.

the shower backing up into the washer stand pipes is a tale tell sign.

if it were a suds relief problem from the washer, the tub would not back up

your best course of action to to have the drain cleaned by a professional

Looks like a mess. I recommend having a professional repipe the drain lines. If the pipe work is left like it is, and the stoppage is cleared it will just clog again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back