Electric stove to gas stove

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazylilme

Reaction score
I currently have an electric stove, but there's a gas line run for a gas stove.

What will it take to be able to put in a gas stove and get rid of the electric stove? What do I need to consider in doing so?

I'd love to be able to do this soon because our electric oven is on its way out and needs replaced very soon.

Is the electric power to your wall space 220v or 110v? A gas appliance needs both 110v outlet for the igniter and timer, and also a natural gas valve. If you have both, you are probably good to go, provided your gas line is still connected to a gas meter.

Everything still looks connected when I follow piping in the basement and my husband agrees. We do have the gas valve behind the stove. It's the whole thing that got me thinking about buying a gas stove instead of another electric.

I have a 50A 2 pole breaker in the box and I know the stove has a "special" receptacle, but not sure of it's rating. I imagine we'll have to get an electrician out to switch things over to a 120V rather than the 240/2 that we have.

I've read about different venting that is required, but have no idea what that would entail for us. Or if we should just have a plumber come out and tell us. I always prefer knowing what I'm looking at getting into before having someone come out. I've caught many the surprised "professional" that way.

are you sure you only have one receptacle [220 for the elec. stove] behind the stove.
depends on the stove you buy, gas stove with a piolet light does not need 120 but a gas stove with electronic igniter does

all you will need to hook up the gas is a flex connector. and, if equipped, a tip lock for the back foot..comes with the new stoves

also..is your stove in a cabinet? or can you get to the side of it?

new code. UPC gas valve must be accessible.

column.jpg

are you sure you only have one receptacle [220 for the elec. stove] behind the stove.
depends on the stove you buy, gas stove with a piolet light does not need 120 but a gas stove with electronic igniter does

all you will need to hook up the gas is a flex connector. and, if equipped, a tip lock for the back foot..comes with the new stoves

also..is your stove in a cabinet? or can you get to the side of it?

new code. UPC gas valve must be accessible.

...hmmph...

Would a range with a pull out bottom drawer qualify?

The OP can run a branch 110V circuit down off a SABC (small appliance branch circuit) and be within code. If electronic display, should be surge protected (IMO).

What section of code is this?

I'll have to pull it out and double check, but I'm pretty sure there's just the range receptacle back there and it's near the floor. It should be easy enough to add to the existing branch circuit that's right there if I need to - there's an above counter receptacle on either side of the stove.

The valve is already existing, so assuming I wouldn't be modifying it, I shouldn't have to bring it up to the latest code adopted in Ohio.

Latest posts

Back