Garbage Disposal will not turn off without unplugging after hitting the Reset button.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crybllrd

Reaction score
All in the title.

It had stopped running (flip the switch on the wall, didn't turn on, no noise or humming).

I checked the circuit breaker, nothing was tripped.

Checked the bottom of the unit, saw a red button popped out. There was no label but I assumed it was the reset. Pushed, it, disposal came on (with the switch on the wall in the off position ?!), I toggled the switch, didn't turn off, and it continued to run until I unplugged it.

Thinking that perhaps the red button was some diagnostic thing, I gave it half an hour to sit. It didn't pop back out. Made sure switch was off, plugged it back in, it turned on again, so I unplugged it.

What do I do next?

Side note, when it was running with the switch off, it wasn't jammed or showing any other signs of being broken.

If you have two plugs under your sink, it is possible you plugged the disposal into the plug that is non-switched, therefore, that plug is constant hot and will run the disposal forever. Try the other plug, which is probably switched.

I would say good call. Most dual outlets are both switched. once in awhile you find only one of the 2 outlets in the pair are separated. Great for adding an instant Hot water dispenser or supplying the dishwasher.

If that is not the case then the wall switch is probably defective.
The red button on bottom is what you initially thought it was, a reset button.
when the disposal gets jammed It is a built in breaker that opens when the motor is over loaded.

This will sound bizarre.

Firstly, I've lived in this rent house for about 8 months, the garbage disposal worked flawlessly until today.

The outlet under the sink has the disposal plugged in to the top socket, and the dishwasher plugged in to the bottom. The switch is almost always in the off position (just controls the disposal that gets 30 seconds of use a week). Dishwasher always worked perfectly before, with the switch in the off position. Still working fine, running as we speak.

Now, in testing the outlet, I plugged a lamp into the disposal's socket. Switch on, lamp on. Switch off, lamp still on. This socket is always hot.

Now, has the wiring in the wall changed since I used the disposal a few days ago?
Do I need to call an electrician, a plumber, or a priest?

EDIT: This is mom's place, she just told me that a few days ago, disposal stopped working (making a humming sound but not running properly). She didn't touch it since. Today it wouldn't even turn on.

Last edited:
The circuit may have become shorted. This can warp and twist the outlet, causing full contact with the switched side of it. It would be a quick repair and the cost of about $3 for a new plug, or if you do not feel confident, either call a handyman or electrician in to help you.

Do not plug anything into that electrical socket until it is corrected.

Sounds like the switch needs to be replaced and you have a short somewhere. Call the landlord as its their job to fix it.

Latest posts

Back