water meter brass union

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete

Reaction score
I'm new here and just wanted to say hello first. In my town we have to replace our water meter with the new smart type, the water guy came today and said he couldn't put it in because my old meter is installed verticle where as the new meter needs to be horizontal. for me to turn the meter horizontal all I would need to do is tighten one of the brass water meter unions a 1/4 turn and then just easy stuff after that. do you think I should remove the union and clean it and pipe dope it and put it back on or should I just tighten it and hope I can get a 1/4 turn.

watermeter2.jpg

Last edited:
Good info pushed out here the new smart meters need to be installed horizontal as for the the brass connector info i asked for bueller, bueller

if you turn your 90 a 1/4 turn. it will probably be ok.

but, in plumbing their is always a butt. look at the niple going into the brass shut off valve.

if the nipple is all the way into the brass valve, you risk bottoming out the nipple inside the valve and stretching the brass.

IF you have threads showing on that nipple, you will be ok.

use 2 wrenches, hold a back up on the valve, turn your 90

cant tell, is that 90 and nipple galvanized ? if it is, remove it, replce with a brass 90 and nipple
code thing, they gotta go.

scan0002.jpg

Last edited:
Back