saddle valve location

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdrain

Reaction score
I have a saddle valve that i think is partially clogged.

See photo attached.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxlt9KkK_s5IUS1EMnd4MmlQeTA/view?usp=sharing

My home has good/average water pressure.

The valve is on the main line above/before the water heater.

With it fully open, water drips out fast but not in a stream of any sort, it should be coming out much quicker than that , correct?

So I'd like to replace it.

Can I actually take the bad saddle off and put a new one in it's place?

If not, I was thinking I would just close that bad valve (it seals tight, not leaking) and put another valve above it......problem is that there is not alot of room.

If I need to put the valve in a new place below the clogged valve.

Take a look at the picture of where i'd like to put it and let me know if that spot is ok for the new valve or if I might be missing something.

Last edited:
saddle valves are........in a word, bull****.

they are prone to leaking, do yourself a favor, cut a tee into the line where the saddle valve is. with 1/2 sticking out.

install a 1/2 x 1/4'' supply valve, like is under your sink.

go to bed with out worry it will pop off around 2 am

a shark bite tee is better than a saddle

That's what I was getting at. Saddle valves aren't even permitted where I live.

If you were to replace it I would rather see a proper valve installed. 1/2"X1/4" or 1/2"x3/8" depending on the size of your supply to the humidifier.

Also...I don't reccomend the sharkbite fittings at all. If you can't solder, I'd prefer compression fittings.

i'm handy but this will be the first time I attempt cutting a tee and replacing with a supply valve.

Looks good and will eliminate the problem.

All of the tee cuts I'm seeing online show the main line having play so that you can get the supply valve on.....i don't have any play in the line.

any tips?

Latest posts

Back