Sewage Pump replacement did not fix problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jontherev

Reaction score
Last Saturday, my sewage pump (pumps all my waste out and up to the county line) started thumping like a heart beat. The pump would still work when the float switch engaged, as normal, but the pump would continually make very loud sounds like a heartbeat when it should otherwise be doing nothing. The pump was about 6 years old.

My plumber insisted that it was dying and just needed to be replaced. When you close the check valve, the "heartbeat" stops, and starts right back again when you open it back up. I am wondering if I have air leaking in and manually turning the pump on. Obviously, this concerns me that it will burn out pretty soon, or else just not last very long. And it's LOUD and we can hear it upstairs.

My plumber promises to fix the problem, but I'm here for advice on what precisely could be causing this issue, what the resolution might be, and how much this might cost me. I've already spent a lot of money unnecessarily. Thanks in advance!

Jon

Last edited:
After more research, I wonder if this is due to no air lock hole being drilled. However, that would not explain why my old pump developed an air lock after 6 years of working fine.

The plumber did rework the piping. Previously, the pipe came out of the basin about 2 feet, then 90 degrees out of the house, and then upwards to the county line (about a 10' vertical elevation difference). He changed the piping at the pump so now it comes up about 4' and then comes back down 2' to discharge out of the house. Kind of an S-trap I guess. I'm wondering if this change is what is causing it.

That sounds like a very logical reason why it's still happening and also why it suddenly started after 6 years. Thanks, I didn't think of that at all! I'll post back here if it fixes it, but I'll be surprised if it's not this.

when he changed the pipe configuration.

did he move the check valve?

their are different check valves

spring check
swing check

spring can be mounted both vertical and horizontal
swing can only be mounted in the horizontal position

it has a gate, that swings shut. must be level to work

if he, moved the ck to a position that is wrong. the fix is on him

not you

spring can be mounted both vertical and horizontal
swing can only be mounted in the horizontal position

Not True. A swing check can be installed vertically, but only with the flow going up. If going down, gravity holds the gate open, making it useless.

This is a typical ejector pump check valve.
2" Zoellerpumps check valve

I guessing a bad check valve. Air lock would cause the pump to run and not discharge any waste.

the flap on the check came loose. pump comes on discharges most of the waste. The waste that should be held in vertical line dumps back into sump.
But if the float has dropped to shut off pump, is there enough waste backwashing back into sump to lift float to turn pump back on??
or the gate is loose and bouncing around in the valve causing havoc

How do you close the check valve? maybe you closed the isolation valve after the check valve. do you have a picture. if the isolation valve is after the check then you can service the check valve. but if the original installers installed the check after the isolation valve, it makes it hard to service the check valve with out draining the waste stack back into the sump

sewage-ejector-system.jpg

Not True. A swing check can be installed vertically, but only with the flow going up. If going down, gravity holds the gate open, making it useless.

This is a typical ejector pump check valve.
2" Zoellerpumps check valve

that is true to a certain extent, in that position what you really need is a piston check valve. has a spring to push the gate past fulcrum
a regular swing check will get hung in the open position.

btw, i like that zoeller ck never seen one before

Thanks everyone. Plumber finally came over on Saturday and installed a new check valve (it's vertical). The gate opens up/down. He showed me the old one, but nothing looked obviously wrong. I imagine some debris is causing the gate to remain slightly open. So far, I have not heard the noise come back, so I'm assuming it fixed the issue. I guess I was the guinea pig for him because he had never heard of this before. So, instead of replacing my pump, that was all I really needed. Luckily, he did not try to charge me anything more.

Latest posts

Back