help: water leaking when flushing and washing machine use

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meganleigh

Reaction score
first time on hear read and learned a lot but not sure about my prob. last week I did laundry and had a lot of water in basement this week same turned it off then 5 mi later toilet made it do the same thing. I can see where it leeks but don't know what it is or why. bear with me its like plastic pipe that comes from what looks like the drain pipes it goes up and has holes in top where it leeks of course its not supposed to do that I have ideas but can someone tell me how bad it is and if I can brush my teeth
really hope its just an easier clog drain but my dad went to church not in a good mood thinking its the septic can I try anything or at least have better news for him

Last edited:
Can you take a picture? Could be an AAV install in an inappropriate place AND you have a stoppage in your drain.

Looks like a partial stoppage in your drain line. It also looks like that AAV needs to be extended a few feet higher.

Auger it out.. As far as the AAV goes get 2 couplings and a piece of pipe and extend it as high as ya can and still get to it if it's gotta be changed.

For the pros...

Doesn't that trap kind of defeat the purpose of the AAV, I mean if it has water in it, that breaks the vent correct?

Last edited:
would I take that end cap off? Yeah as you can tell by the color diff that part is new I think the soft water people added it when they changed the soft water tank should they change it?

If there's water coming out of that AAV, don't take the cap off. Your gonna get poop on you.

there is a small black hose from the watersoftner they are the ones who installed this saying the one we had wasn't right. also a horrible confession there hasn't been anything done to the drains or septic system So I'm guessing we should have it looked at

What he said. ^

Do you have a clean out outside? You can open it up SLOWLY!!! And see if water starts creeping out. If it does your problem is a little further down the line and it may be wise to call a septic truck, since you have never had it pumped. If there's no water there then you just have a clog.

Latest posts

Back