Need Help With a Kitchen Drain Clog

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikenew

Reaction score
I used a single treatment of an enzyme-based cleaner on my kitchen drain. It didn't seem to help or hurt. I read that sometimes using a plunger after the treatment can help. When I used the plunger, sandy black sludge started coming up. I continued plunging while running hot water, but couldn't clear the blockage. I emptied the sink by scooping out the water. I poured in baking soda, vinegar, and hot water. I took off the p-trap and pushed an auger about 10 feet into the wall before hitting an obstruction--cannot tell if it's a T or a blockage. Didn't want to push too hard as the pipes are old. I put the p-trap back on and went back to plunging while running hot water. Must have scooped out more than 20 gallons of sludge by now. I keep thinking I must be close to clearing the clog, but more sludge just keeps coming up. Anybody have any suggestions or ideas? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

After plunging for 2 hours and bailing out 20 gallons of gray water the pipe's still clogged. Could another treatment of the enzyme cleaner possibly help, or would it make things worse?

You probably have a main line clog further down from the sink if you live in a home id say have a cctv job done you could have have broken pipe

After plunging for 2 hours and bailing out 20 gallons of gray water the pipe's still clogged. Could another treatment of the enzyme cleaner possibly help, or would it make things worse?

Don't use any cleaner by yourself, ask a professional. I will also suggest to use a camera, this will definitely help you find the problem.

Rent a 3/8 drain machine at ho depo .pull p trap and run machine as far as where there's a toilet. Then flush the toilet and you should be able to hear it drain when the line is opened

I know this thread is old, but now I'm curious if anybody can answer a question for me.
I have read many times and heard word of mouth that mixing vinegar and baking soda is a good way to remove clogs, so....How is it that neutralizing the acid with a base really does any good?
One site claims "The vinegar and baking soda's bubbling reaction mechanically loosens and removes the clog. It is the perfect natural drain cleaner.", but the foaming action isn't expanding or blasting like a kinetic ram. Is this just more plumbing mythology that has duped the public?
Unless it's completely sealed on all ends and openings, the drain will never see enough pressure, IMO.
There is a nearby wall that I may bang my head against every time I see the baking soda vinegar remedy show up and would like some opinions before my therapist has to hear about it.

I know this thread is old, but now I'm curious if anybody can answer a question for me.
I have read many times and heard word of mouth that mixing vinegar and baking soda is a good way to remove clogs, so....How is it that neutralizing the acid with a base really does any good?
One site claims "The vinegar and baking soda's bubbling reaction mechanically loosens and removes the clog. It is the perfect natural drain cleaner.", but the foaming action isn't expanding or blasting like a kinetic ram. Is this just more plumbing mythology that has duped the public?
Unless it's completely sealed on all ends and openings, the drain will never see enough pressure, IMO.
There is a nearby wall that I may bang my head against every time I see the baking soda vinegar remedy show up and would like some opinions before my therapist has to hear about it.

Using the "vinegar and baking soda" method is only a good way to increase the amount of money you have to pay a plumber to actually clear your drain. VINEGAR AND BAKING SODA DO NOT WORK! The internet is a wonderful way for some people who do not know anything about some things, to pretend they are experts.

If the drain is clogged....its full of water. You add baking soda and vinegar solution to a pipe filled with water and you get.....more water. For something like that to work, you need to clear the pipe of water and get the solution right to the source. So, no, it won't clear a clogged drain. If you have a slow running drain, it may help open up the drain over time, but I doubt it, especially on a kitchen sink. Soap scum in a basin, maybe.

Nothing is going to clear the drain better than a cable snake sized for the application. I will use sulfuric acid on occasion to help open up a kitchen sink after I have cleared it with the cable.

I think that you need to see a therapist. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the validation, guys. Some of this stuff just gets under my skin when wack-o information is perpetuated on the internet. Next thing you know people will start saying more crazy things like Abe Vigoda died. Sheesh.

Back