Cleared main drain..now smells

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boris61

Reaction score
Plumbing badly backed up into downstairs bathroom toilet & shower and onto tile floor. Sat there for days as we were not home. I've since cleared main drain and everything drains fine. We're connected to city sewer. However can't get rid of the SMELL (sewer gas?). Cleaned tile multiple times with enzyme cleaners and poured bleach down the shower drain. No luck. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Did anything come thru the bottom of the toilet? A broken wax seal can constantly let sewer gasses into the room

Thanks Matt. I forgot to mention I had also replaced the wax seal. Still smells.

Yes has baseboard and fairly certain some effluent went under but I don't think enough to produce the overwhelming smell we have. I hoped to eliminate other possible causes before tearing out drywall. Is it possible it backed up into vent and I might have venting issue?

Have all the fixtures been used thuroughly? Some sewage could be lingering in the tub or sink traps if it backed up in there. You wouldn't smell anything in the vents if your trap seal is there.

If it got to the base boards and was there for a few days I would pull the boards and try treating with a diluted mixture of bleach and water before cutting out the drywall. That drywall will soak up water like a sponge.

Back