How to remove shower pan?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timnancyk

Reaction score
So I need to find out why my 8 year old master shower is leaking. I have determined that it is not coming from the top shower head. Since the leaks are in the corners of the shower pan, I am assuming it is either faulty sealing of the corners of the tiles inside OR the shower drain. Either way, I need to lift up the shower pan and remove it to determine where the leak is happening.

I have removed the shower enclose and will be removing the first row of tiles so that I can lift the shower pan off. Here are a few questions I need answered before proceeding in lifting the shower pan.

1. What kind of connector is in the drain hole? How do I remove this and is it necessary to remove before attempting to lift the shower pan? Last thing I want to do is create more issues by damaging plumbing pipes by lifting the pan up. So I need to know how to properly remove or undo any piping connecting the drain.

2. Looks like the shower pan has a lip of some kind on the ends and one of the wall boards looks to be over-top of it. What is the best way to go about remove that so that the shower pan will lift up?

3. Do I need to turn off any water valves when lifting the shower pan? I don't see why I would.

and finally...

4. Any other helpful tips before I DIY this project?

Thanks in advanced for any help!

shower-pan.jpg

shower-pan-drain-1.jpg

shower-pan-drain-2.jpg

shower-pan-drain-3.jpg

shower-pan-drain-4.jpg

shower-pan-lip.jpg

Last edited:
That drain assembly is permanently glued on, you will have to cut the drain pipe off in order to remove pan.

Any idea on how to do that since I cannot get to it to cut it unless I lift if up?

Why are you removing the shower base? It looks like your problem is where the tile meets the base. Unless you are replacing the base it makes no sense. The leak can be repaired using the same base. It's a tile problem not a base problem.

Reactions: SHR
I too agree with johnjh2o. Removing the base will be a demolition job and will require destroying the base. Putting a new base in will be a major project. The base does not appear to be your problem. Look for your leak in the walls at the joint with shower base.

Anybody know a easier way to remove these stubborn large tiles? Using a crowbar chisel and hammer.

1453009651337-1095075883.jpg

OK so here is what I found. I took off the tiles and backer board from the other side. This is where the shower backs into the bathtub. Found lots of mold and I am thinking this part is where the leak has been going on because of the mold here and compare the backer board of this area to the other side. Definitely has moisture issues. So I believe the leak has been running down this side and running under the pan as well...running down to the other side. There is mold noticeable in the garage ceiling where the shower is. This is why I have to lift the pan up to repair the mold under the pan. My plan is to remove the bottom row of tiles, cut away a portion of the backer board and lift the pan. Repair mold and put pan back in and redo the area that had the leak. Any tips how a professional would handle this project?

2016-01-17 14.32.05.jpg

20160117_125438_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20160117_125333_Richtone(HDR).jpg

2016-01-17 14.33.12.jpg

2016-01-17 14.40.54.jpg

20150816_093941.jpg

20150815_172928.jpg

Test the drain by plugging with a 2"test plug down in the pipe. fill pan 1/2 to 3/4 full and let it sit. No leaks leave it.

Guys, there is mold that looks to be under the pan. Am I reading right? Are you guys saying not to lift the pan to fix the mold?

Any idea on how to do that since I cannot get to it to cut it unless I lift if up?

use a inside pipe cutter
41H2blnAQYL._AA160_.jpg

Latest posts

Back