Living with hole in main line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlsmith

Reaction score
About 12-inches before my main line empties into the septic tank, there is a hole worn through the bottom side of the cast iron pipe. The hole leads to nothing but dirt, and I don't see erosion taking a toll (yet). But what I do experience every year or so for the past 15 years is that some paper will get caught on the edge of the hole and it leads to a blockage in the pipe. My standard temporary solution (for the past 15 years) has been to pop the lid on the tank and reach in the pipe with a stick to clear the path. Oh, and then go wet-vac the basement.

I'd like to be done with this problem, but not for the thousands of dollars I'm hearing from a reputable plumbing service. Are there any new and simple or old and cheap solutions for this kind of problem? Or I could seek a cheap fix from a disreputable service <wink>.

The easiest fix I can think of is a fernco coupling. I have to look im not sure if this would be up to code.

This problem is ongoing. Anyone else have an idea on a fix, short of jack hammering the concrete slab over the pipe to replace it?

Is there any way they can patch it with a lining. I know companies do liners on jobs where they can't dig the main up to repair.

If you know where it is rent a jack hammer and break the concrete yourself. you could probably expose the pipe and just pay for the repair.

Back