Keep tripping breaker

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobOnMV

Reaction score
I have an above ground septic, and find that my 20 amp breaker for the pump trips perhaps twice a week. Any ideas why this would happen?

Hey listen...

I was waiting for a professional to reply but your question(s) are more suited to an electricians forum.

You may have a simple problem or a multitude of problems. It would be best to show in photos your electrical supply circuit(s) particularly how it is wired at the tank. It may be as simple as water condensation @ the supply box to bad wiring to a bad breaker.

There is a diagnostic sequence(s) to ascertain the problem(s).

Get back if you need more help.

Is there any power supply boxes outside? It's not uncommon to find junction boxes buried under ground, then they get full of water and start causing problems. All junction boxes these days have to be above ground in a weather proof box.

More then likely, the pump is on its way out, drawing high amperage. Call a plumber, not an electrician. You want a good electrician, you call a plumber.

Also a possibility that the pump is partially plugged and drawing higher amperage because it's working harder, or like matt said pump is on the way out and the windings are shot. But i do know that the more breakers trip the weaker they get and take less amperage to trip. Either way matt is right call a plumber not an electrician

I had this problem also with my septic system. I looked at the panel when the pump switched on and saw a red glow from the breaker, which didn't seem at all right. I had never before heard of a bad circuit breaker that trips on lower than specified current, it must be pretty unusual. It was fixed by replacing the breaker.

Back