Issue with my septic system! Need some advice!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bans25

Reaction score
Issue with my septic system! Need some advice!
A year ago I had some grey water backup (very minor and lucky my 10 year old son was playing his Xbox and I was home to tell me he heard water!). I had maybe a couple cups of water on a tile floor in the basement. I put a large bucket under there and noticed when flow was high I would get some overflow out of the basement drain for the washer.

I dug up the covers and found a paper clog at the end of the inlet pipe into the tank. I cleared the clog and called a septic company. They came and pumped and told me the system looked fine and to move to scotts tissue.

Almost exactly a year later my son tells me he heard water during my wife's laundry run! I run down stairs and had about 3 gallons in the bucket (I left the bucket there if we ever had another clog). So I go out, dig up the covers and do not see a block, I have sense diagnosed the blockage at the trap at the laundry as I flush all toilets and have good flow, run the laundry it backs up (I checked outside during the back up and have slight water into the system). however things look strange under the covers!!

1) my research is telling me I should have a effluent filter on the output however I dont have one and no septic pumper over the years or inspector when I bought the house 13 years ago has ever mentioned this.

2) does it appear the tank has backed up? the outlet pipe picture has a white substance over everything? also looks like I have solids flowing down into the drain field!!

I am now concerned the septic is damaged. We just had our first snow of the season so this messed me up out there (I covered the holes before the storm).

I plan to have the system pumped again, install an effluent filter myself but have a gut feeling the system is damaged and cant keep up with heavy flow and possibly contributed to the 2 clogs I have mentioned? (does this theory make sense?)

Thoughts on what I should do? I am nervous damage is done to the system from solids running down the outlet pipe. Anything I should put down the outlet pipe to help break up the solids?

Any advice/comments welcome. I don't mind hiring a professional if I need to however feel I need to know whats going on so I don't get taken advantage of.. No recommendation for an output filter from 3 different companies over 13 years is concerning.

Any idea what this white buildup/growth is on the outlet side of the tank?

Pictures of inlet and outlet below:

Inlet.jpg

Outlet.jpg

You should have both a baffle and effluent filter on the outlet side to keep solids from reaching the distribution box and leach field. You also need a baffle on the inlet side.

If either (outlet - DB -Leach Field) becomes fouled you will experience very slow drainage (and possible backup) from the tank.

The waste water level should remain at the level your photo is showing with normal usage.

Septic Tank _2 Dual Reservoir.jpg

Septic Tank- Inlet-Outlet Baffles.jpg

I plan to have the system pumped again, install an effluent filter myself but have a gut feeling the system is damaged and cant keep up with heavy flow and possibly contributed to the 2 clogs I have mentioned? (does this theory make sense?)

Thoughts on what I should do? I am nervous damage is done to the system from solids running down the outlet pipe. Anything I should put down the outlet pipe to help break up the solids?

After the effluent filter install (to prevent floaters from entering the distribution box), open the d-box. It may be plugged and possibly the drain field.

With the d-box open (and clean), a garden hose can be used at the tank outlet to see if the drain field accepts the flow.

Do you have high calcium in your water? That may be what the white material is.

Latest posts

Back