water line for fridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpearlberg

Reaction score
getting a new fridge next week. should i replace the water line with braided steel, or leave it as is?

IMG_5334.JPG

IMG_5335.JPG

Get rid of the saddle valve. Replace properly with a copper tee and a 1/2" copper x 1/4" comp shut off valve. You can keep the existing line going to the fridge, but a braided supply would be a better choice.

OP, if you're good with a torch by all means replace the saddle valve as suggested. If not, just leave it using the theory of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I have one supplying the humidifiers on both the previous and current furnaces for the last 35+ years and it's been no problem. By all means change out that plastic tubing for braided.

OP, if you're good with a torch by all means replace the saddle valve as suggested. If not, just leave it using the theory of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I have one supplying the humidifiers on both the previous and current furnaces for the last 35+ years and it's been no problem. By all means change out that plastic tubing for braided.

I've never used the torch, so I'm thinking of just leaving it as is until something happens...

So either way, I should get rid of the plastic, even if I leave the saddle?

I would. I've had trouble in the past with that plastic tubing starting to leak when moving refrigerators in and out.

Ok, maybe I'll do that. I'll just have to make the whole in the floor a little bigger to fit the braided line through.

Back