Help with design of new hot water system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgrischkan

Reaction score
I currently have 2 Old 50-gallon water heaters plumbed in series (were there when I bought house 5 years ago) and have manufacture dates in late 90s or early 2000s. They're obviously well-past their service life. There are several hot tubs/soaking tubs in the house which we have never nor likely ever plan to use.

The older of the 2 water heaters has significant corrosion and rust along the pipes and on the top of the unit/exhaust such that a plumber recently at the house (for another issue) recommended shutting it down. I isolated the supply and output valves and turned it off a few weeks ago and we seem to have enough hot water with the other single tank. (Newer but still at least 10-year old power vent model)

I am contemplating replacing the both of them with either a new 80-gallon electric heat-pump (hybrid) model electric water-pump heater OR a tankless natural gas water heater. Our local electrical utility is offering a $500 rebate for the energy-star certified heat-pumo water heater

I have an old clothes dryer hook-up nearby, so I think I could tap into the electrical for the water heater if I do that, but if I do the tankless, it would allow unlimited hot water.

I also need to replace my furnace and will likely do so around the same time, so if there are any considerations with regards to that, I’d be appreciative as well (currently have over 40=year old forced natural gas furnace)

I live in Ohio- so we get cold winters, but not like Minnesota (where I used to live)

Particular questions:
1. with the heat-pump hybrid electrical system, is the recovery quick enough with the heat pump? If electricity prices are high, does that offset the savings? How involved is intallation of an electrical water heater vs a gas heater? (ie- labor costs include an electrician AND a plumber or can one of those trades do it?)

2. There are a crazy number of tankless manufacturers with difference systems. I’m having a hard time figuring out the right system. The upfront costs seem exorbitantly high for the tankless (the plumbing company that was here for another problem just gave me a quote for $3700 for installation of a Navien NPE 240A tankless-type water heater)

3. I have a friend who is a distributor for Bosch tankless water heaters- if I can get one from him at cost and I can have a local plumber install, what model is best for a 2200sq ft house with 3 full bathrooms, (including 3 soaking tubs- not used)

thanks for the info
jg

Thanks Kultulz

I am not really interested as much in the question about tankless brands.... moreso in the question of heat-pump hybrid vs tankless and the benefits there

I should clarify- the 2 existing water heaters are actually plumbed in parallel

Back