Slow draining no overflow sink, added venting not working

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blues327

Reaction score
I'm really hoping someone can help me, because I am on day 3 of this issue.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I decided to remodel our basement bathroom from an old 3-sided shower to a corner glass shower, with a new toilet and small floating vanity. What we found when we tore into it, was several hidden electrical boxes behind finished drywall and a plumbing configuration that looked like the old pipe screensaver from Windows. Well, 2 years later the bathroom is complete except for one issue, the non-overflow sink we installed takes about 30 minutes to drain. We have an umbrella drain for no overflow sinks installed. Because it is a floating vanity, there isn't a lot of real estate to work with underneath the sink. I have attached some pictures. From the sink drain trap the drain takes a 90 degree drop about 6 inches from a T down then travels 30 inches to the corner where there is another 90 degree turn and travels about 18 inches to the main stack/vent. I tried to install an AAV under the sink, but I could only install it about 3 inches above the trap and the instructions said it should be at least 6 inches above. So after much deliberation I opened up the back of the wall, which is in the laundry room. and installed an AAV 2 feet above the T joint. The odd thing was that while it didn't work at first, after I fill the sink with water, when I loosened the AAV a couple of turns the sink emptied very quickly. But only the one time. I have tried it without the AAV (just opened the pipe on the top) with no luck. Not sure if this means there could be a clog somewhere that has nothing to do with the venting or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

27301-e9abdf572bb89593e12c95dd6ebc6e1f.jpg

27299-f6218bb454c0ae31a4a85bfa2f7cd019.jpg

27302-14624f6c90f13ce95f427d0a4300d7a3.jpg

27297-5be757b775e452ceb8b1ec732013942c.jpg

you have a blockage, and the piping is totally wrong

2nd picture up from bottom shows the wrong type fittings, installed incorrectly

cut that wall open, take a picture ''resize the picture,please its to small to view''

we will help get it right

post back,

Last edited:
Back